Cell/mobile phone prices (i.e. Samsung e900) compared to expansys.com.hk

Cell/mobile phone prices (i.e. Samsung e900) compared to expansys.com.hk

Hi all,

I did a forum search and found quite a few threads on where to look for a decent cell phone price.

However, I'd like to do my research before heading there, so I can be sure that my ostensible "touristy-ness" doesn't get me ripped off.

So I wanted to do some research on prices first. My friend told me that cell phones in HK are cheaper than in Canada, particularly if they are not newly released.

I want the Samsung e900 and found it priced on the only HK based cell phone selling site that I could find: expansys.com.hk.

-> http://www.expansys.com.hk/product.asp?code=133171

How much, if any, of a price difference between the actual shops (as mentioned on geoexpat) and expansys.com.hk? (Because the price of the phone is rather expensive on expansys, pretty much more the same as here in Canada so it becomes moot to try to buy it there when I can get it here with a better peace of mind, albeit paying taxes)

Or better yet, does anyone actually KNOW the price of this phone in any of the stores in HK?

The Samsung you are referring to is known as the E908 here and is available for around the $2000 mark right now, in places such as Mongkok. But you do need to search for it and do need to find a good dealer - there are a good mix of good and bad dealers there. Actually it was realeased a lot later in the HK market that other markets so is still relatively new here.

Why this phone though? It looks good, granted, but it's useability isn't that great. Constantly having to change text settings to T9 input for every text, etc is a pain as is using the touch sensitive keypad. If all you do is make and receive calls then fine, but other phone capabilities are difficult. And another gripe of mine with Samsung phones, why can't they get them to actually ring and vibrate at the same time?

Hi Jaykay,

Thanks for the input!

I did notice that the e900 is also the e908, however on the e908, there is the branding of "Anycall" or something on the front face (not too keen on that...). I was still sort of hoping for the original look of the e900, though I guess that probably won't be likely.

Do you by any chance have one or two dealers that I should beware of (and perhaps a dealer or two that are reputable, besides the big stores and whatnot? Unless those are the only places to get a good dealer)?

I didn't know about the text settings issue... when you talk abot changing text seetings to t9 input for every text, do you mean t9 = Chinese Text Input? So texting in Chinese characters? If so, I never text in Chinese... so that means that won't be an issue for me, right?

I read some reviews for the phone and I like that it's as stylish as the much touted "LG Chocolate" phone but better features. So that's why I wanted it (I'm no cell phone expert though, it just happened to be the 2nd slider phone that popped up in my research and I really liked it LOL)