Like Tree3Likes

iPhone 4 - Broken Glass

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

iPhone 4 - Broken Glass

It looks like I am the first clumsy guy to drop my phone around here. Does anyone know what the HK carriers (SMV to be specific) policy is regarding this? Will I likely have to pay full price for a new handset? Thx.

Pretty much yes, will be a new handset or expensive repair. Is it the back or front that's broken?
    Posted via Mobile Device

I believe if you take it to the repair center they will say they can't repair it under warranty obviously. But they will allow you to buy a refurbished one for cheaper than a new one. At this stage, I don't know whether refurbished really means new, since they wouldn't have that many to refurbish yet.

Please try it and let us know how it goes.

Spoke to smv yesterday evening. I am told that replacing the front glass will likely cost more than a brand new handset. Apparently in the US Apple has a program where for $200 they replace the phone with a refurbished like new model. No such luck here I guess.

ive heard the glass replacement is not expensive, unless you broke more then that. btw... how did it happen?

- approx height?
    - any case?
    - how many times did you drop it?
    - did it hit flat or on edge or corner?
    - can you show photos of the breaks?

im curious just to keep an idea of how easily it breaks. from previous videos online it seems 3 drops from chest height are what it takes to crack display badly. before that it rarely will show any damage.

Try speaking to Jeff Li (Crown Ford (HK) Limited), 11th Floor of the computer mall in Windsor House. His apple repairs for laptops are reasonably priced and quick. I noticed that his shop has a number of old broken iphone screens.

mobileme likes this.

Thank you fth for the tip. I will try and find Jeff's shop.

BenderBends,

While walking down the street I reached into my pocket to grab the phone. As I was removing it from my pocket, it slipped out of my hand and fell onto the sidewalk (landing face down flat I think). I should have had a case but silly me was waiting for my free case which ships from Apple in late September. Sorry I don't have a camera near me to take a picture but if you can imagine, the entire top half of the screen is cracked like a spider web. The phone still works and my screen protector seems to be keeping the broken glass in place.

I also just found out from a colleague that for those of you who have the phone on contract with 3HK, they have the same policy as the US. For 1700HKD you get a new phone. Too bad SMV does not apparently honor this.

Hmm, front glass. If it was the back it's a simple repair as all of the components are connected to the front - pretty much the opposite to the old 3G / 3GS. The glass is available, I'll check some pricing later and get back to you.

mobileme likes this.

Maybe you should take the phone to the SMV service center and see if they have something else to say, or you can argue with them there. Or write a letter to SMV and ask why they don't have the same service policies as Apple/3HK.

Personally I bought mine direct from Apple, and maybe this was a good move in light of this.

Quote Originally Posted by sxc:
    Maybe you should take the phone to the SMV service center and see if they have something else to say, or you can argue with them there. Or write a letter to SMV and ask why they don't have the same service policies as Apple/3HK.
    Going to do that on Monday. I am also going to get a quote from the shop that fth mentioned above. Last resort will be attempting to deal with Apple directly.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast