cell phone

cell phone

Hello,

I have a question. I will be coming to Hong Kong for 2 weeks and want to check if there is any way to get my US cell phone to work out there. Either that or perhaps I could get an inexpensive cell phone for my visit which I could bring back with me ???? Please give me your suggestions. I am looking at making local calls as well as calls back to the US with this cell phone.

Thanks!!

If your cellphone is a tri-band or quad-band .. you can buy a fairly inexpensive pay as you go SIM and use.

Thanks for the response.

My cell phone is not tri-band or quad-band. What are some options to buy/rent a phone while I'm there? Also, locations where I could buy/rent?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    If your cellphone is a tri-band or quad-band .. you can buy a fairly inexpensive pay as you go SIM and use.
    This is what I did when I was travelling between HK and South Africa. I bought a pay as you go sim and used that when I was in Hong Kong. When i moved here I converted it to a contract. They are really cheap. I think I paid HK$90 for the card and free airtime and then when I need more you go to the 7/11 and get a top up card.

Not sure where to Rent but if you bump Wan Chai it rains Cell Phone stores.
    Last edited by Monde; 02-01-2007 at 12:17 PM.

Thank you!

Keeping in mind that I have never visited before, here is a question? Is there any place close to/in Tai Kok Tsui? That is where I will be staying.

Any recommendations? COuld you share some price ranges that would be appropriate? I am looking for a basic model -- something that will be used to make local calls and calls back home to the US for the 12 days that I am there.

Thanks in advance.

You can buy a new basic phone for as little as HK$300, most of the mobile phone shops sell them.

If you're looking for something to take back with you then you should probably make sure you get a tri- or quad- band phone here which will mean that it may be useful to you back home as well. Also try to make sure that the charger is 110V compatible as well as 220V.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Thank you!

Keeping in mind that I have never visited before, here is a question? Is there any place close to/in Tai Kok Tsui? That is where I will be staying.

Any recommendations? COuld you share some price ranges that would be appropriate? I am looking for a basic model -- something that will be used to make local calls and calls back home to the US for the 12 days that I am there.

Thanks in advance.
    You can walk/take mini bus to Mong Kok in order to buy a phone. There is a mobile phone shopping centre on Argyle Street. Come out exit D2 and walk straight across the road in line with the exit. Walk past the first block. (past GOME) Second block from MTR station is a shopping centre, inside there are about 1.5 floors of nothing but cellular phones.

Who is your US provider? Keep in mind if you buy over here and take back to US to use you will need to have (or plan on going to) Cingular or T-Mobile. (or another regional GSM provider who uses their towers)

Good Luck

Signed,
    The Royal Chigger
    Last edited by HKChigger; 08-01-2007 at 07:30 PM. Reason: cuz