Don't take your Idevice into China!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I went to China twice last week with my I devices and yesterday I took the train to Guangzhou with them as well. While on the train I looked around in my car and noticed many people using I devices. At immigration - nothing different, even with the people carrying them in full view. I think that they are most likely looking for Chinese Nationals or new in the box. But who knows, this can all change tomorrow.

I bought my Iphone in China and it does has Wi-Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYouth1:
    I bought my Iphone in China and it does has Wi-Fi
    How did you manage that? It must be grey market and exactly what the Shenzhen officials are targeting. How much premium did you have to pay for it? I have heard of HK people selling iphones in the mainland for more than double what they paid in HK.

The only official way to get an iphone in China is through China Unicom and it does not have wifi. It cannot even be hacked. The chip is totally removed.

Edit: I see that Unicom has started shippng wifi enabled models in the last few months. I guess you must have one of these newer models.
    http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/08/...iphone-4-next/
    Last edited by bdw; 22-10-2010 at 09:15 AM.

So if you go in multiple times to China presumably they give you a letter or the like indicating that you've already paid their tax on it so they don't keep ripping you a new one each time?
    Posted via Mobile Device

I think that they are most likely looking for Chinese Nationals or new in the box. But who knows, this can all change tomorrow.
    A job opportunity of non-chinese speaking gweilos perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Loz_2:
    So if you go in multiple times to China presumably they give you a letter or the like indicating that you've already paid their tax on it so they don't keep ripping you a new one each time?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    A receipt?

But the receipt would need to include the serial number or some unique identifier of the device for it to be meaningful...