Like Tree4Likes

iPhone 4 vs Samsung Galaxy i9000s

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

iPhone 4 vs Samsung Galaxy i9000s

if you had to choose between the two , which one ? and why ?

Having used both I'd go with iPhone 4.

A quote from a previous post "As for Galaxy S - yes it's a nice phone and if it was an only phone you could be happy with it but, like most Android phones, apps will eventually make it run like a dog, so Task Killer is an essential and for some reason mail keeps disappearing. Ultimately not as slick as the iP4 and certainly a toss up on displays - I do prefer the iP4 display though."

I like Android but it's not a polished OS yet. Interpretations between different manufacturers means it wont be for some time. You never know whether the next Android update will be available for your phone. However I'd take an Android phone in a heartbeat over the clunky old OS's of Nokia and Blackberry.

WalkAbout likes this.

I would disagree. After using Iphone and then moving onto Android, whenever I go back to Idevice firmware (for example on the ipad or the missus's iphone) I don't like using it.

For all its problems, I would choose Android over Iphone. The biggest draw is the ability to customise your screen (i.e. widgets) and multitasking. Also I use gmail a lot, so the gmail and google calendar apps are fantastic on Android.

WalkAbout likes this.

good to know since i use gmail

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    The biggest draw is the ability to customise your screen (i.e. widgets) and multitasking.
    While i agree on the customizing looks...i Jailbreak iOS devices for Winterboard and Iconoclasm and LockscreenInfo access, making it very nicely customized.

Im still curious why people like multitasking on Android over iOS? iOS multitasking handles most operations in background, while conserving battery life. Android runs apps in full in background, destroying battery life. As iOS matures further I imagine them adding other operations to be added in the feature set, making it more versatile, but even now I rarely find a negative aspect to its current system.

Also I use gmail a lot, so the gmail and google calendar apps are fantastic on Android.
    Whats the difference compared to using Mail.app's new unified inbox? Or compared to just loading Gmail via Safari?
    WalkAbout likes this.

- Winterboard, etc is really nothing compared to the full customisation offered on Android. At best its a half way house over what is offered by Android

- As for multitasking, its not true that Android apps are running fully in the background if they are not shut off. Here is an article which looks at multitasking for both Android and Apple: Apple iPhone vs. Android Multitasking: A Comparison - PCWorld

- Gmail app means offline viewing of emails, full label support, support of stars, threaded emails (although I think that may now be possible with the new iOS mail app)

- Also another good thing about Android is the ability to have multiple exchange accounts, while iOS limits you to only 1.

Don't get me wrong, iOS is good and polished, I just feel its a bit too locked down for my liking (even with it being Jailbroken).

One note about the Samsung though. Samsung puts its own skin on Android, which from what I hear hasn't got the best reviews. However I think you can just remove it and use stock Android.

WalkAbout likes this.

One more good plus for me is i just found out that I can sync my PalmDesktop to Andriod via

Sync Android with Palm Desktop/Pimlical - Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes -- CompanionLink Software

apparently this sync will work via usb, which is my preferred method.

You can use CompanionLink to sync an iPhone4 via USB but first you must sync with Outlook, ( which I don't want )

Last edited by WalkAbout; 10-11-2010 at 02:45 PM.

You are set on the Samsung ? or will you consider other android phone ? Htc desire is a very nice android phone, and HTC sense (the widget customization) is a lot better than Samsung skin which is not really good as Pin said.

The only thing about android is that they still don't have a Hong Kong marketplace so you can only download free application.

Quote Originally Posted by Beuze:
    You are set on the Samsung ? or will you consider other android phone ? Htc desire is a very nice android phone, and HTC sense (the widget customization) is a lot better than Samsung skin which is not really good as Pin said.

The only thing about android is that they still don't have a Hong Kong marketplace so you can only download free application.
    Re marketplace, just get market enabler.

Re marketplace, just get market enabler.
    Android Marketplace now has both free and paid apps available in HK on HTC phones. I'm not sure if they are also available on other android phones though.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast