Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BenderBends
  • 1 Post By reddbod

bizarre iphone4 issue

time to get an android

Tiger...do you jailbreak?
    sounds like you have some seriously bad luck with iphones eh?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    time to get an android
    recently got an android phone and i reckon it's better than iphone....a lot of free apps and no jailbreaking needed... i was going to get an iphone but lost interest after the lack of info and explanation from 3 about their plan. I even approached 2 different branches.

love my android phone.

Android all the way.

Can you guys elaborate on why you think the android is the way to go? I am starting to look for a new phone and I am not up to speed on the new choices. For example, since there are a few brands that work on the android system, does that mean that they would all have access to the same apps, so then your decision would be to choose the android phone that suits your preferences? And any other bit of info about the android system over say iPhone or Nokia or even Blackberry.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayzilla:
    does that mean that they would all have access to the same apps, so then your decision would be to choose the android phone that suits your preferences?
    no...and its my biggest problem right now with android. i know many love android because its a breath of fresh air compared to apples "walled garden" supposedly. But dont let that fool you. Android has lots of negative aspects too:
    - its more of a work in progress, and nowhere near complete/polished
    - it is extremely fragmented....so some apps will work, some wont. for example Netflix is not available directly because of this, and until it gets resolved they have stated it will be difficult for them to release a streaming app.
    - did i mention it is fragmented? even OS upgrades on spanking new phones are not guaranteed to be able to upgrade to latest OS a few months later.
    - you still need to root your device (void your warranty) to do anything google/manufacturer dont want you to do - just like apple..... random reasons to root
    Rayzilla likes this.

Thanks for that BB. That sheds some more light onto the android world for me.

Update on my situation. After talking to a lot of my friends that have iPhones and others, even one with the Nexus One, I came to the conclusion that I am getting trapped in the "walled garden". So I did some research yesterday and came to the conclusion that I was going to sign up for a new subscriber agreement with CSL/1010 because I had the understanding that most employers here do not provide mobile telecommunications to their employees.

Then I got some conflicting information on that today, twice. I was told that many companies now do provide their employees with Blackberries, which is a common thing in Toronto, Canada. I had one when I was transferred to HK but it didn't seem to me in my 2 years here that it was common. So now I am afraid to get locked into a 24 month plan if I will be getting one from work (I rarely use the mobile for personal communications).

So is it common for employers to provide their employees with mobile telecommunications of any kind?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayzilla:

So is it common for employers to provide their employees with mobile telecommunications of any kind?

Thanks.
    Depends on the nature of the company. I've got mates working in big firms and none of them got phones from work.
    Rayzilla likes this.

surely you could get the company to rebate your phone plan if that did arise? i dont know...since ive never worked for a company willing to buy everyone phone plans.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    surely you could get the company to rebate your phone plan if that did arise? i dont know...since ive never worked for a company willing to buy everyone phone plans.
    That's a good point. How do most companies here deal with mobiles for their employees? Do they let the employees sign up their own plans and then submit the invoices to the company for reimbursement or does the company enter into the contract with their own service provider?

My wife gets a corporate discount with most of the service providers (I would choose CSL since their package is the best). What are the chances that my future employer would reimburse me (assuming that their 'policy' is to pay for telecommunications expenses)? Thanks.

It's hard holding back right now. Part of me wants to be financially responsible, thus getting a PAYG SIM card to go with an old phone until I become employed again. The other part wants to go ahead with the 24 month plan so that I have the proper 'tools' to seek new employment.