Pay as you go SIM questions...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pay as you go SIM questions...

Given that I've never used a pay as you go SIM card I have a couple of questions...

1) Whats the best card if you're just looking to send / receive SMS messgages?
    2) Can the voice calls be forwarded to a land line without additional air time costs?

Question before answering your question?

Why are you looking for a PAYG Sim? Reason I ask is want to know who it is for?

For example if its for someone visiting you, then you should get one which is on the same network as yours due to free intra network SMS.

I think calls can be forwarded to landlines, but I suspect for most PAYG sims, you will get charged for this service.

Given that we only need this number for SMS messages (incase anyone responds to the delivery status messages we sent via ShopInHK.Com) it makes no sense to opt for a plan. Or does it?

Are you intending to send those messages or receive messages?

You might want to look at online providers in that case - I know I have sent SMS messages and received them from a computer, rather than a phone - if that's what you are using it for, might be easier to integrate into your systems? (sorry my example was in australia so I don't know about here).

I had a question about pay-as-you-go SIM cards too ... I understood phone numbers were portable here - can you switch a (previously under contract) number to a PAYG sim? I have a friend who had to change his number because he said it was not possible but I thought it was?!
    Posted via Mobile Device

MovingIn07 - unfortunately the services are not reasonably priced for retail customers ( < 1000 messages a month).

Pin - Our sending is done through a bulk provider, who configure the return address to whatever we want, which would be a local pay as you go SIM.

Have you considered taking them down a PCCW fixed line? They have SMS capabilities - you'd just need to subscribe to the service and have one of their SMS capable phonesets. I'm assuming here that this is an office-based requirement rather than a mobile one.

Details here: http://www.pccw.com/Consumer/Residen...language=en_US

Last edited by PDLM; 23-11-2010 at 09:01 AM.

PDLM - Unfortunately that would involve getting one more fixed line into the office and rewiring. Going to stick with an old Palm QWERTY mobile phone for now.

(Also, could not find a business option to this deal AND I don't want to deal with one more multi year contract at the moment as I'm not sure how popular this notfication option would be. )

Last edited by shri; 23-11-2010 at 09:12 AM.

Fair enough - just wanted to be sure you were aware of the capability.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast