Like Tree7Likes

Iphone 4 and wi-fi

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Iphone 4 and wi-fi

I just got my Iphone4 and cannot seem to get onto wi-fi. there is a wi-fi setting on the phone but I am suppose to select a network? How am I suppose to do that? Please advice.

Thank you.

The default settings on the iphone4 are that it will popup a window with all the available wifi access points whenever you are within range of one. You should just click it, enter the password if there is one, then connect.

You will see the "3G" icon at the top change to a wifi icon if you are using wifi instead of the phone companies 3G network.

Are you at home? Do you have a wifi access point at your home? Does your access point have WEP/WPA/WPA2 etc security? Does your access point have MAC security turned on?

Last edited by bdw; 13-12-2010 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    The default settings on the iphone4 are that it will popup a window with all the available wifi access points whenever you are within range of one. You should just click it, enter the password if there is one, then connect.

You will see the "3G" icon at the top change to a wifi icon if you are using wifi instead of the phone companies 3G network.

Are you at home? Do you have a wifi access point at your home? Does your access point have WEP/WPA/WPA2 etc security? Does your access point have MAC security turned on?
    What about the public wi-fi like in the airport. MTR and starbucks etc. How do I log on to those? Is there a password for those? Sorry for these basic questions - am totally new at this.

Many thanks.

As bdw said, it will pop up with a list of available networks when you open safari. If nothing pops up there is no wifi in the area. If a network pops up click it and if needed enter a password.

If a password is needed and you don't know it, you likely shouldn't be connecting to the network. Places like McDonalds, Starbucks and the Airport will not need a password, but will make you agree to terms of use etc in Safari before allowing you full access to the internet.

Rayzilla likes this.

Marcus, who is your carrier (3HK, Smartone, CSL etc..?). Did you sign a contract (maybe 24 months) and does the contract state you get some kind of wifi access?

I signed with 3HK. It includes unlimited wifi. The wifi is provided by Y5ZONE. There is a list of access points on Y5ZONE website. It includes starbucks, McDonalds, etc. (but not places like Pacific Coffee which I happen to prefer over starbucks).

When I first got the phone, 3HK sent me an SMS with my username and password for Y5ZONE. The username is just the phone number.

Then when I am in starbucks, I can see Y5ZONE and connect to it. Then open a web browser and it will popup a login page automatically. On this page, select 3HK, enter username and password, click connect. Then the 3G icon on top of the phone automatically changes to a wireless icon and I have unlimited high speed internet while I sip my coffee.

Some places such as airport (and I believe all McDonalds) have completely free wifi access regardless of whether you signed a contract or not. In these places, the connection method will be similar, except you may not choose Y5ZONE at the beginning. At the airport, I think just choose "PCCW".

Rayzilla likes this.

I have following question
    Let's say I go to a restaurant that offers free WIFI no password and I connect to the signal
    What happens if I go to the same place a few days later, will the i-phone reconnect automatically
    if I am still in search WIFI mode ?

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    I have following question
    Let's say I go to a restaurant that offers free WIFI no password and I connect to the signal
    What happens if I go to the same place a few days later, will the i-phone reconnect automatically
    if I am still in search WIFI mode ?
    The wifi will reconnect to the access point automatically. But you may still need to open a browser, view the standard 'terms and conditions', click 'Accept', then you have general internet access. Some of your apps that use internet (such as weather, maps, etc) will not start updating until you do this ritual in a browser (eg Safari on iphone) first.
    Morrison and Rayzilla like this.

I am with SMV 2nd package, that is, their $238 a month package. If I am not mistaken, it does include wi-fi.

Thanks.

After a bit of digging, it seems SMV also use Y5ZONE access points
    http://www.smartone-vodafone.com/mob...h/wifi_faq.pdf

Original Post Deleted
    I find at home, wifi is much faster than 3G (if I am playing with google maps or something like this). But the Y5ZONE public wifi's seem to be more congested. I couldnt even watch the NHK World live video app inside starbucks. It kept chopping up. But at home is perfect.

The other thing to consider is that my contract allows only 500MB 3G data per month (first 12 months unlimited). Right now I am not too fussed, but after 12 months I will need to monitor my 3G usage and these Y5ZONE access points could come in handy since they are always unlimited for the enitre 24 month contract.
    TheBrit likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast