Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By PDLM
  • 1 Post By PDLM

Some good news on telecoms contracts

Closed Thread

Some good news on telecoms contracts

Finally some action on the problem of agreements being made by phone with no written confirmation. All the fixed and mobile network operators have agreed to implement a Code of Practice for Telecommunications Service Contracts which will include written confirmation of everything agreed in phone or other oral negotiations, amongst several other good things.

The timescale quote is "three to six months" for those who have some IT issues to resolve. But it's good to know that this is on the way.

It's a shame that it doesn't put a stop to PCCW's outrageous practice of billing people's credit cards before they send the corresponding bill though.

virago, shri, MovingIn07 and 3 others like this.

It's a shame that it doesn't put a stop to PCCW's outrageous practice of billing people's credit cards before they send the corresponding bill though.
    Alex Arena was the best investment Richard Li made.

A list of companies which have signed up?

In the SCMP article a bunch of companies were mentioned, but not Three HK. I did go to the OFTA website but could not find a list of the companies which have signed up. I do note however they are a member of the CAHK (through its parent company), which had created the code of conduct.

In any case, I don't know how much effect this code of conduct will really have. After all it is voluntary and it has no legal force.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Alex Arena was the best investment Richard Li made.
    Is it? profit extraction at the cost of the destruction of the company....

Mr Arena is a Bureaucrat and has made PCCW in a combination of a Goverment Department combined with the business ethics of TST camera shop.

Not sure if that is an unfair comment on TST camera shops..... they are much better now a days right?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    A list of companies which have signed up?

In the SCMP article a bunch of companies were mentioned, but not Three HK. I did go to the OFTA website but could not find a list of the companies which have signed up.
    From the OFTA link above:
    OFTA is pleased to learn that all the major fixed and mobile network operators and one major external telecommunications services operator have agreed to follow the Industry Code
    Are you unaware that ThreeHK is a major mobile network operator?

Once the companies state on their websites that they follow the code (as the code requires if you sign up to it) then then will implicitly form part of the contract between the operators and their customers, so it will be binding under contract law.
    pin likes this.

I don't see how this is going to effect me. I've never had anything done in HK which hasn't resulted in an email, letter or ton of paperwork cinfirming what I've agreed to. I'm not saying there aren't companies that prey on the vulnerable, but from my perspective this isn't going to change anything.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Mr Arena is a Bureaucrat and has made PCCW in a combination of a Goverment Department combined with the business ethics of TST camera shop.
    Exactly. The best investment Richard Li ever made.

PDLM - as always, you are correct. Three HK is the trading name of Hutchison Telecommunications
    Hong Kong Holdings Limited.

One thing to note though, according to the Code it will only apply to new contracts and not existing contracts. I presume there is nothing stopping a provider from amending an existing contract to include the Code, however how many will do that is another matter.

Even in Australia in 2010 the biggest complaints to the Consumer Affairs Council is on telecommunication companies with dubious dealings for phone, mobile and internet.