Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shri

iphone anti-theft software/hardware

Closed Thread

iphone anti-theft software/hardware

I was wondering if there was any robust anti theft devices like a "lack of proximity" alarm for an iphone, say if the iphone got too far away from my key chain and started ringing loudly. If so, where can I find one?

What you're looking for a blue tooth proximity alarm. Not sure what the latest and greatest technolgy is in this area...

Here's one that I found with a little bit of google-fu.

http://www.secu4.com/en/product.html

Last edited by shri; 20-01-2011 at 05:20 PM.
    fth likes this.

Here's a video ..

No clue what the iphone version is ...

I thought I saw something at the TDC gallery at the convention centre

have a look at this: Open source anti-theft solution for Mac, PCs & Phones – Prey

It's only for android phones as of this point but they're already working on the iphone phase so be sure to keep checking their website for updates.

I have their software installed on my android phone and it works like a charm.

I like the proximity alarm idea much better. All these tracking software mean that the phone must be turned on and you have to get to a computer to find it. The iPhone has plenty of these types of apps and Mobile Me but in many cases, the damage is already done.

I think the idea of a shrill noise as soon as the phone is away from you is much better and you can still use the tracking software on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    I like the proximity alarm idea much better. All these tracking software mean that the phone must be turned on and you have to get to a computer to find it. The iPhone has plenty of these types of apps and Mobile Me but in many cases, the damage is already done.

I think the idea of a shrill noise as soon as the phone is away from you is much better and you can still use the tracking software on top of it.
    Exactly, I want the taxi driver to use his brakes, not the accelerator. I had a look at the device Shri mentioned, it seemed to be more geared towards someone stealing the bag or what ever the card was contained in, not the phone itself.

Well the device would also work the same if you had it in your pocket or on your key ring and the phone was away from you. There seems to be a sound coming from the phone as well as the device...

Not quite as good but potentially somewhat effective...

Last edited by gilleshk; 20-01-2011 at 06:44 PM.