Like Tree16Likes

Nokia joing forces with Microsoft

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

What sealed Nokia's fate? • The Register

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    ...I got my Nokia 4 years ago and it still looks new to me. I don't know what model it is -- it just says "Nokia" on it. It makes phone calls.
    Meh.

My friend has a shiny new Apple iPhone 4. It wipes his ass, so he never has to do it himself. Yes, his ass-wiping days are behind him.
    virago and bookblogger like this.

Apparently Nokia put up not millions but billions to keep their mobile operating system afloat.

If nokia didn't take it Microsoft system would be now in the history books.

I suspect that Nokia in all the wisdom would have been offered upfront money (which they need) and with it's operations struggling then they would be stupid not to take it. In 2 years time when this is deemed a failure, Nokia will be seriously lost share and will be close to the history books themselves.

Excerpt from article announcing two new Nokia Smart phones using an updated Symbian OS . . .

In February, Nokia and Microsoft surprised the industry by announcing they were joining forces to challenge major rivals _ Apple's iPhone and Android, Google's software for phones and tablets.

Nokia said it will use Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Phone software as the main platform for its smartphones in an effort to recover lost share from the iPhone and RIM's Blackberry. But Nokia said it will continue to develop and use the new Symbian software.
    Me: Huh?!

Full article

Huja, Elop was about to become case study in Business books on how to destroy your existing business and they have had to retract the kill off Symbian.

Here 3, new phones, new version of Symbian.
    Nokia gets touchy-feely with two new Symbians • The Register

Older phones get upgrades...

Last edited by Fenix2; 13-04-2011 at 05:42 AM.

http://youtu.be/amnraDkJUwA

Lumia is Finnish for "I really hope the public will buy this."

It's a great move for both. Nokia were heading towards extinction and MS needs a decent platform for their mobile OS. I think this will benefit everyone as some healthy competition to Android and Apple.

Besides, symbian will continue to thrive in the non-smart sector which is probably most of the world (at least the developing world).

Microsoft poised for a comeback?

Their (unofficial) theme song.

They (Nokia) certainly are betting the farm, N900 LTE (4G) version just announced..

Lumia 800 is a nice phone, something I've read on forums but haven't seen Nokia make much noise over is the apparent much better battery life of the Win7/Nokia collaboration vs Android/iOS devices...

If all you want (??) is a smart phone and you're not too picky over apps/tweaking, the Lumia 800 is a definite contender..

went to look for a new phone last night.

Unfortunately Nokia have copied Apple's arcane system of only built in ram with significant price jumps between models depending on the RAM offered.

Windows 8 does look simple and fast

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast