Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By luckycat
  • 1 Post By drumbrake
  • 1 Post By luckycat

Vodafone Mobile Broadband - disconnection problems

Closed Thread

Vodafone Mobile Broadband - disconnection problems

Does anyone have the Vodafone Mobile Broadband dongle?

Over the last few weeks, the service keeps disconnecting every time I try to use the service for anything other than emails. It seems as if any time I try to use it for internet heavy work like youtube or downloading, the thing disconnects. I manually have to re-connect and then it disconnects again within a couple of minutes over and over and over again. It has gotten to the point that I don't even try anymore!

If I just have the internet connection open and check e-mails sporadically, it seems to disconnect less so I don't know if it relates to the amount I want to use it but either way, it is very very annoying.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

JaredHK likes this.

Not so much disconnection problems, but speeds are getting worse and worse. While this does depend on time of day and location, whereas perhaps a year ago I generally had no problems watching a youtube video, now I can have more frequent problems. I won't be renewing my contract for mobile broadband.

JaredHK likes this.

Thanks for the heads up on this as I was thinking of switching over to them.

Does anyone know if PCCW is any good?

I use stv and the service can be sporadic. Seems fine at home (gold coast) but in some places it's awful. I think not too many other people around me here are using it!

Yes, I've had the same issue. I took the USB modem to the service centre in Mongkok for them to check it out. The first time they said it was a software issue and they "upgraded" it. Took it home and it still kept disconnecting. I took it back to them again, and they rechecked it, said there was nothing wrong with it. This time SMV said it was because my temporary internet file was full and I have to empty it every few months. After dutifully deleting all my internet history and cookies etc, it still kept disconnecting or the speed would just go to 0 and stay there.

I only had 3 weeks left on my plan so couldn't be bothered going to the service centre again. Wasn't planning to re-sign anyway, as I can now tether internet using the mobile.

I had no problem with SMV until about 9 months ago when it all started going downhill.

I think the smv service degradation is linked to all original iphone buyers who were on 3 and then moved to smartone with the iphone 4 launch.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Looks like all the forum spam they created paid of for them and shafted their subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    I won't be renewing my contract for mobile broadband.
    Pity we signed up in October time with a 24 month contract, however, for about $1000 you can terminate early so we may just do that.

In the time we've had the dongle, we have also noticed slower speeds too.

Jared - no idea about PCCW but we're keen on that option. I'll keep my ears open.
    JaredHK likes this.

My stupid dongle has finally given up the ghost and died. I wonder whether it is because of the humidity so I have put it into my dry cabinet and will re-test later today. Anyone else had hardware issues?