Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pin

does using the iphone's hotspot feature as a modem violate TOS?

Closed Thread

does using the iphone's hotspot feature as a modem violate TOS?

I setup my 3GS in Hotspot mode, and my mac connected to the internet no problem.

I'm getting 2M down, so it's a pretty good backup, but I'd hate to be cut off suddenly...

Also, if I start streaming TO my iphone from my home library over the air, I'll be using lots of data -

Anyone run into troubles by either of these activities? Or do you know they are a violation?

silly me - I forgot to mention my plan ----

unlimited Smartone data plan....

I don't think SMV are sure themselves. Have you read your TOS? Does it make any mention of tethering?

Also have a look at this blog post:

Smartone-Vodafone & iPhone Personal Hotspot - Vinko Thoughts On..

AsiaJason likes this.

apparently the $250 "unlimited" plan does not include tethering, but I've read that tethering by bluetooth is undetectable.

Is this true?

I ran a test and will see with my next bill.

I'm doing the same test...

Hi

I used to be on the same SMV package as the OP. I used to set up personal hotpsots with my Android every so often. Never got charged for it.

However if you read Vinko's article, and the internet, you will note that Apple allow operators to turn the Ios hotpot feature on and off. This seems to indicate they know a way of working out which traffic is using the Ios hotspot.

I think at the moment you will be fine, as SMV haven't worked out how they will charge. However I suspect they will ask you to move to the higher unlimited plan, which allows for tethering (or they will charge you for tethering / ios personal hotpot, once they work out how to charge).

When you mention streaming over the air from your MAC to your iPhone is that via WiFi or 3G?

If via WiFi it does not count as tendering as you are downloading to your phone via 3G. If you mean via WiFi as there is no issue as the data goes direct from you MAC to your phone without involving you network. You could do this even if you had no connection to your carrier.

Hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AsiaJason:
    I setup my 3GS in Hotspot mode, and my mac connected to the internet no problem.

I'm getting 2M down, so it's a pretty good backup, but I'd hate to be cut off suddenly...

Also, if I start streaming TO my iphone from my home library over the air, I'll be using lots of data -

Anyone run into troubles by either of these activities? Or do you know they are a violation?

Quote Originally Posted by AsiaJason:
    apparently the $250 "unlimited" plan does not include tethering, but I've read that tethering by bluetooth is undetectable.

Is this true?

I ran a test and will see with my next bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxc:
    I'm doing the same test...
    So I got my bill. The bluetooth tethering was detected and I got charged for it. I'm on the $238 + $12 unlimited plan with smartone.