Like Tree39Likes

True cost and useability of an iPhone

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

U will not be update ur software on 3GS from September

Speaking for the normal user that doesn't hack his iPhone:

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    1.) Can I plug it into a normal PC and transfer MP3s onto it and play them back through loudspeakers, ie, in a classroom.
    You need iTunes to transfer music to the iPhone.

Can it do the same job as a USB stick, no need to install software, etc.
    No, iTunes is needed. Only pictures (maybe videos, but never tried) can be copied directly.

Can I walk into a classroom, plug an iphone into the classroom computer and play songs ...
    No, you need iTunes on the PC for that.

... or a MS power point presentation made on a pc?
    As far as I know - no.

2.) I have a usb modem from 3, can the iphone replace that device for my laptop, ie, can I set up a wireless network from my laptop through an iphone?
    Subject to support from your operator the iPhone 4 can be used to create a Wifi hotspot.

3.) Is the scheduler good? Is it a suitable replacement for a blackberry?
    Dunno, sorry.

4.) As a pc user, can iphone work with me or is there a similar phone which is better for non Mac types like me?
    iPhone doesn't need a Mac, or any previous experience on using one. However there are some restrictions (like iTunes), so perhaps an Android device is more suitable for your needs.

As PDLM stated, you can't buy any phone if you are bothered by the fact that there will be a new model a year later. I still use the iPhone 3GS and I am happy with it. Glad I didn't buy into the iPhone 4 craze now that the iPhone 5 is on the horizon.

1.) Can I plug it into a normal PC and transfer MP3s onto it and play them back through loudspeakers, ie, in a classroom. Can it do the same job as a USB stick, no need to install software, etc. Can I walk into a classroom, plug an iphone into the classroom computer and play songs or a MS power point presentation made on a pc?
    Seems you need either free windows software (iphone explorer or iphone browser) to access the files via USB, or you can use an app on the iphone and access the files via web browser on the computer (via USB cable or wireless).

Having said that, if you have an iPhone with a data plan, there are much better ways to share your files than USB. DropBox (free up to 2G) syncs files between your devices, including the web. You edit or create a Powerpoint file at home and it will be available via your iPhone or the web without actively doing anything.

Other apps, paid and free, also allow wireless transfer between phone and computer.

The iPhone may not be the best thing if you are looking for a USB disk, but honestly I never needed that since there are so many other ways to share files. And you don't want to take the cable with you all the time, do you?

2.) I have a usb modem from 3, can the iphone replace that device for my laptop, ie, can I set up a wireless network from my laptop through an iphone?
    You can plugin your iPhone to your notebook and use it to access the internet (tethering), or you can setup a Wifi hotspot on your iPhone 4 and use your PC or other devices to connect to that WiFi network.

3.) Is the scheduler good? Is it a suitable replacement for a blackberry
    I have no problem with it, I use it with Outlook on my PC (I know, I am so old fashioned) and have it synced to my iPhone automatically via Google calendar. No sync and cable needed, it's all wireless (I setup a new appointment on the device and it's in my outlook automatically and vice versa). Same for notes and tasks (I use Toodledo).

4.) As a pc user, can iphone work with me or is there a similar phone which is better for non Mac types like me?
    Windows is fine.
    Last edited by 100LL; 28-05-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Nope - I have a Nokia 1208. I'm old-fashioned enough to use a phone for phone calls (& SMS) and a computer for things that need a screen. I can't think of anything much that I would choose to do on a 3 inch screen.
    I hear that, I have a 5 year old Nokia which is held together by superglue.

My situation is this. During the day I go into many classrooms. If I am just using MP3s I take a USB stick in and plug it into the class computer, if Flash, video or Powerpoint I take a Netbook and plug it into the class AV system, (this is because of compatability issues with my files, or some school hardware crashes shockwave, etc, etc.)

I'm hoping to cut the need for a Netbook and suppose I would be odd in that I'm not interested in the games, camera, facebook, touchscreen, any of that, I suppose really I want a very tiny, powerful netbook!!!!

Okay,

My wife has decided that she wants an iPhone. I've looked online and it seems that an iPhone 4 is about 6000hkd. So assuming the phone will last for two years and I depreciate it at 250hkd per month and the unlimited data plan is 200hks per month the real cost of ownership is 450hkd per month? Okay, so this is not bad I suppose.
    Questions

1.) Can I plug it into a normal PC and transfer MP3s onto it and play them back through loudspeakers, ie, in a classroom. Can it do the same job as a USB stick, no need to install software, etc. Can I walk into a classroom, plug an iphone into the classroom computer and play songs or a MS power point presentation made on a pc?

3.) Is the scheduler good? Is it a suitable replacement for a blackberry?

Thank you for your help - lot of questions, I know :-)
    Is the Iphone for you or your wife? If for your wife, how would that affect whether YOU are able to use it or not?

Just asking...

I hear that, I have a 5 year old Nokia which is held together by superglue.

My situation is this. During the day I go into many classrooms. If I am just using MP3s I take a USB stick in and plug it into the class computer, if Flash, video or Powerpoint I take a Netbook and plug it into the class AV system, (this is because of compatability issues with my files, or some school hardware crashes shockwave, etc, etc.)

I'm hoping to cut the need for a Netbook and suppose I would be odd in that I'm not interested in the games, camera, facebook, touchscreen, any of that, I suppose really I want a very tiny, powerful netbook!!!!
    you need to note that iphone and itunes will convert the file names of mp3 (without your permisson) within your computer ( unless you have backed up somewhere) and you can NOT do what you mentioned above, however, most android will allow do what you want with mp3, even has memory card so you can easily transfer to computer at school/work

Quote Originally Posted by pat_togo:
    Is the Iphone for you or your wife? If for your wife, how would that affect whether YOU are able to use it or not?

Just asking...
    My wife is my assistant teacher as it were and I'm not spending 5000+ dollars on a toy.

From what i know apple will not be able to release iphone5 it will be a 4S
    Obviously it will have improvements compared to iphone4...
    However you can keep waiting if you like ^^
    Ps. In oct is apple 10 year ani so most likely that means new product? Who knows

My bf got his iPhone 4 for $0 for the phone but on a $398 per month plan with unlimited 3G Internet access on smart tone. Or you can go on 3 for $349/per month except their connections are dodgy (or so I've heard)

Quote Originally Posted by kalba:
    My bf got his iPhone 4 for $0 for the phone but on a $398 per month plan with unlimited 3G Internet access on smart tone. Or you can go on 3 for $349/per month except their connections are dodgy (or so I've heard)
    And the earth is flat. There I've told you so you've heard.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast