Like Tree39Likes

True cost and useability of an iPhone

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    you can not use an iphone as a mp3 storage medium for transfer to other computers and use the same mp3 to play on your iphone, ie, for presentation,etc, itunes will not allow you to do it.
    correction : you can NOT do this with itunes. you CAN do this with other legal software (not requiring jailbreak)

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    correction : you can NOT do this with itunes. you CAN do this with other legal software (not requiring jailbreak)
    You clearly miss the point is that u actually NEED software to do this, for what is an free to connect-and-copy process on non-apple devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    You clearly miss the point is that u actually NEED software to do this, for what is an free to connect-and-copy process on non-apple devices.
    But if you want other non-apple devices to auto sync, you must download and install apps too. So I guess I fail to see the point of complaint in downloading free software that allows access to manually/auto throw songs around.

I can understand that minor inconvenience during the 15 secs while the app downloads and installs, but to me and most others it's hardly a deal breaker.

But, to each their own. If you prefer android that's fine, I am always just curious of what the complaints are, and generally it's from people looking for something very very specific, and not a general mass market request.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    But if you want other non-apple devices to auto sync, you must download and install apps too. So I guess I fail to see the point of complaint in downloading free software that allows access to manually/auto throw songs around.
    The OP asked about plug-and-play without installing any additional software on the PC where he wants to connect to, i.e. using the iPhone just like a USB memory stick.

For that the iPhone may not be the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Also, what makes iPhone 4 better than iPhone 3, maybe I should get an iPhone 3 to see how it is?
    In two words battery life ! There is more but this sealed it for me.

Coming to a bar near you VERY soon

Haven't read the whole thread but if youre more worried about using it in the classroom than as a phone out and about, i'd just buy a netbook for about the same price. I've got an HTC desire because I always like to have the internet when ok out and about, it's great except for an annoying bad battery life.

My netbook (nokia booklet 3g) keeps going for 8 hrs and is quite light. you can also put a sim card in it for 3g internet. Probably suitable for what you want, but I'm sure there are better, newer ones around.

I do have an iPhone but I still use a 16GB thumb drive to move my larger files around (gigabytes at once). It's tiny and cheap and exists on my keychain. Now I wouldn't want to have my phone connected to PC's all the time, what would I do if my phone rings? A non-issue in my opinion. I don't think I personally would handle things differently with an Android phone. A thumb drive costs less than a pizza these days.

In addition to that, I have a free DropBox account, which means I can access files I need from my iPhone, from other people's PCs, from everywhere basically. I can also play back movies and photos from my DropBox account, or share files with others. DropBox is available for PC, Mac, Linux, iPhone/iPad, Android, BlackBerry, and in addition you can access your files via the web. Stuff like this (there are many more solutions) keeps all your devices in sync and backed up. Makes USB files transfer obsolete in my opinion.

Since the OP wants to play back powerpoint presentations and shockwave media etc, he'll probably need a PC (with the software isntalled) anyway. Having an iPhone or Android phone won't make a difference. Unless you start to save the file you want to play back in some format these portable devices can play back (like movie files or some other presentation package from Apple or an open app).

If you don't want to buy a new phone, and your PC's in the class room are connected to the internet, then why don't you get a free 2G DropBox account, save your MP3 and powerpoint presentations on it, and access these files from your school PC via the DropBox web site? It's free and you don't need to plugin or carry any devices. And if these PC's have viruses, you don't have to worry about... once DropBox is installed on your home PC or netbook, you just need to drag the files you want to "share" into the DropBox folder.

Last edited by 100LL; 29-05-2011 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    If you don't want to buy a new phone, and your PC's in the class room are connected to the internet, then why don't you get a free 2G DropBox account, save your MP3 and powerpoint presentations on it, and access these files from your school PC via the DropBox web site? It's free and you don't need to plugin or carry any devices. And if these PC's have viruses, you don't have to worry about... once DropBox is installed on your home PC or netbook, you just need to drag the files you want to "share" into the DropBox folder.
    You're correct except my point that because I go to many classrooms I sometimes have compatibility issues or their computers stall or crash when I'm midway through a presentation. This is why I normally carry a netbook if I'm using Powerpoint/flash/MP4, whatever. I simply walk in, and plug their speakers and projector directly into my netbook. My question is, can iPhone do that? Or, is there another similar device that can do that? I actually want to run software on the device!!

Stay with the netbook, the iPhone won't be good at all for that kind of thing. It's possible to do but you'd need all kinds of run arounds.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    once DropBox is installed on your home PC or netbook, you just need to drag the files you want to "share" into the DropBox folder.
    Hey, thanks for the tip about dropbox, I've just installed it, perfect!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast