HK IPhone Costs - Phone Plan / Store Purchase

Closed Thread

HK IPhone Costs - Phone Plan / Store Purchase

So I'm not too familiar with the pricing on HK phone plans or the IPhone in general, and figured i'd ask around here before delving around phone shops / wanchai.

I was holding off on buying an IPhone 4 as i will be returning back to the States this August (New York, specifically, if it matters).

I know a standard IPhone 4 (32GB) is something like $6000 here in HK, but something like $700US if purchased online (Around $5500HK~) - So i figured i'd be better off holding off until i return to the states to just buy one there either stand-alone or through a phone plan.

One of my friends here suggested i look up pricing on the phone plans here as well as their early cancellation "fees." I admit i am not too familiar with the HK phone plans/cancellation policies, besides the fact most have a 2-year contract.

They said i might be able to save money actually signing up for a phone plan, pay the initial bulk charge (heard its something like 3500-4000?) keep it until i leave in August, then cancel the subscription early - paying the additional cancellation fee. What exactly is this "cancellation fee?" I find it hard to believe doing this would be any cheaper than just buying the phone standalone either at a store or online, but was curious on the logistics of it.

I admit i'm also not too familiar with the locked/unlocked versions of the IPhone i keep hearing about - will picking up an IPhone in HK allow me to use it back in the states?

Thanks for any input
    -Josh

I've been looking into the iphone plans. If you buy the plan, it's a two year contract which means when you cancel, you have to pay the remaining months left on your plan - there is no such thing as 'cancelling fee' like the US. Also, since there are so many people leaving all the time in HK, you don't get any special traetment if your reason for cancelling is becuase you are leavingthe country (when I was with ATT in NY, they waived the fee as I was leaving the country - ain't gonna happen here).
    You are probably better off buying a standalone phone here or buy it in the US with a plan (will be cheapest option)