Like Tree3Likes

use of maps without paying expensive internet charges or GPS equipped mobile

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by titanimum:
    sounds fantastic and just what im after! thanks for info. so if l bought the xpreia mini pro , which has android and gps, l will b able to use google maps with gps telling me my location, live, without an active internet account? would l need to download the app using my PC? and transfer it to the phone? or just use my wifi at home to download from the xperia mini pro , at no extra cost? cause surely to access google maps, you do need internet access at least initially. please give me info on this, l am a bit of a tech newbie, only ever using dumb phones!
    Yes this should work fine. You would need to update google maps to the latest version, which you can do through the android market at home (connected to your home wifi). Then you can also browse the google maps at home and cache the locations you need when you are out and about. You do not need to use a pc at all.

There is actually 2 types of caching happening. One is an automatic cache of whatever areas you view most recently. The other is in the "labs" setting I am referring to where you can explicitly tell google maps which areas you want to maintain a constant cache for.

But be aware that caching doesnt seem to have the same level of detail, eg 3d buildings, that an active inteenet connection provides.

Sent from my LT15i using GeoClicks Mobile

There is always the option of STUDYING a map and remembering it, perhaps with a memory jogger (say the address) for the final last part.

Original Post Deleted
    What's un-21st century about studying a map and learning the layout of a city?

It is easier to know where your going the vast majority of the time rather than completely rely on electronic maps.

Travelling is a strange city and having an electronic map makes sense, but your home town that only has 2000kms of road.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Yes this should work fine. You would need to update google maps to the latest version, which you can do through the android market at home (connected to your home wifi). Then you can also browse the google maps at home and cache the locations you need when you are out and about. You do not need to use a pc at all.

There is actually 2 types of caching happening. One is an automatic cache of whatever areas you view most recently. The other is in the "labs" setting I am referring to where you can explicitly tell google maps which areas you want to maintain a constant cache for.

But be aware that caching doesnt seem to have the same level of detail, eg 3d buildings, that an active inteenet connection provides.

Sent from my LT15i using GeoClicks Mobile
    thanks for the info bdw, so to cache the locations I require in this ~ 30 mile radius area. it would be possible to use gps navigation with google maps (without 3D or all the bells and whistles ) for area of interest without a costly live mobile internet connection? does the cache go into memory card, or into phones memory and what size of memory would be required for lets say a ~5mile radius - 30 mile radius area? can the cache goes into the memory card? does the phone automatically detect wifi, and is it "dangerous" accessing any free wifi?