Like Tree32Likes

The problem with iTunes. And why we should be patient with Android.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thanks to this rant I now I understand why Apple is so popular in China

"They are control freaks. Some may go further and say mind-control freaks."

People are simply used to it !
    Even when you fly Air China, eyephone in airplane mode or take out the SIM card, it does not matter, something "might happen" so you must switch it off.

Well for tablet OS iPad is outselling all pads at a ratio of 9:1 (source ZDNet). Everything that has come up against it has failed.

The problem with Android, as mentioned previously on here, is that it requires setting up. It's geeky and unpolished. Its great when we hear from techies on here that they can do so much more with Android and their latest and greatest can now make cups of tea. BUT the majority of people just want something that works straight off the bat. And Android just ain't that yet.

And for clarification of the above we do have in the house: iPhone 4, SE Xperia Neo running Gingerbread (the original OS having been blasted and replaced by global firmware and all the subsequent fuggin about), an iPad and a Blackberry Torch (which should be in a museum).

BaconBreadBaker likes this.

I don't agree. My Galaxy Tab worked pretty much straight out of the box. I have done nothing fancy with it except download a few apps. I just like the fact that it has more basic functionality (like the ability to make phone calls, create a wifi network, camera in the first edition etc) than the ipad.

if you can live with itunes ( i hate the fact that it runs in the background all the time , thus, i will not install on my computer, but it's on my wife computer cos she has an iphone) then it's fine, if are not arse with total freedom of your media, then it's fine.

if you like drag and drop and complete freedom, then an apple products is not your cuppa of tea, yes, i understand gingerbread is not a stable and has inherent problems, but one thing to say, it is a viable alternative and allows you to have complete freedom.

in the long term, maybe window 7 will have the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Thanks to this rant I now I understand why Apple is so popular in China

"They are control freaks. Some may go further and say mind-control freaks."

People are simply used to it !
    Much though I am happy to slag off the CCP whenever the opportunity arises it may have escaped your notice that Apple are in fact an American company and their products seem to be doing fairly well elsewhere as well.

The irony of IT at the moment is that whilst the CCP is undoubtedly one of the world leaders in oppressive internet control (for which they should rightly be condemned), Chinese manufacturers are amongst the world leaders in what might be called 'format freedom'.

Western manufacturers are busy constructing closed ecosystems trying, wherever they can get away with it, to ensure that media purchased through them is only playable within their system. Apple have always been at the forefront of this pernicious, anti-competitive and controlling business model. That model failed with computers because consumers (by and large) rejected it and the relatively more open Windows platform prevailed despite the design niceties of Apple. However the big danger is the extent to which others are being tempted to follow the Apple model now that iPods and iPhones have been successful. Microsoft's Zune software for example is trying to go down a similar route.

Chinese media players, whilst often clunky and unreliable at the moment, always make a feature of the fact that they will play absolutely any format, proudly listing the huge range of formats that they can play and regularly releasing firmware updates for their customers to ensure that no format is left unsupported.

At the end of the day, the market decides on how a company should operate. Apple is thrashing the competition with the current useless overpriced toys they are selling and can't even keep up with the demand. Why should they change such a successful product? On top of it, certain things can't be changed since they also distribute content through iTunes. Open everything right up to benefit those who are too cheap to pay for content and possibly lose millions from the entertainment industry?

At the end of the day, there are plenty of choices out there for those who can't live without their toys. If enough decide to go for a different product, changes will be made or failure will result which is the way it should be.

I love my ipods and iphone, but I agree itunes is one piece of crap software. I stopped using it long time ago.

I used to be a big fan of apple, I loved it when they trashed Microsoft but now they are becoming just the same. I have decided not to buy any apple products because I was appalled by the way they got European courts to ban samsung products.

Galaxy Tab remains illegal in Germany • The Register

virago and mrdollars like this.

If you purchase an Apple Inc MP3 player and plug it into an Apple Inc computer before a PC then it can not be subsequently used with a PC with software like Copytransmanager. If you plug it into a PC firt no problem. Top class coding.

Itunes is just captiveware - where it holds you captive and tries to stop you going elsewhere.

Last edited by East_coast; 11-09-2011 at 10:26 PM.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    Yes, Android is a somewhat more geeky user experience. It's not as polished, nor as stable as Apple's iOS, but I really do like using it. It allows you more control over the device it runs on. Your device, which you own. Agreed, the apps are generally of a poorer standard than Apple's, but then its an open system, so what do people expect?
    And this is the sad thing. The hardware and OS are still not as polished as the iPhone was 2-3yrs ago. The user experience in terms of swipes, screen sensitivity, UI effects, etc can't even compare to the iOS 2.x.

Yes, Android gives you freedom and control of your device but Apple is still schooling the rest of the world on how to write good software.

My gf has a Galaxy S2. In her times of boredom, she's always bugging me for my iPhone 3Gs because Bejeweled is easier to play because touches and swipes on her Galaxy S2 aren't as accurate.

When the next incarnation of iPhone arrives, I'll be upgrading to it. I like the idea of Android but I hate the fragmentation and I'm too busy to spend hours tweaking it like I used it back in the early days of Linux.
    BaconBreadBaker and WMDS like this.