Like Tree1Likes

Should I bring my old iphone or buy new one?

Closed Thread

Should I bring my old iphone or buy new one?

I currently use iphone with AT&T carrier in US, and I wonder which way is better for me.
    Should I bring my phone after unlock it, or buy new one in Hong Kong? If I sign up the contract (maybe 1-2 years) with one of the wireless company in Hong Kong, how much it will cost me to buy iphone with plan? If it's not much like in US, I will rather buy new one in Hong Kong with proper SIM card instead of dealing with unlocking or jailbreak my phone. What do I need in order to sign up the contract?
    Looking for your comment. Thanks!

I am not sure when this has been updated last but it surely gives you the full overview:

http://bit.ly/iphone4hkplans

You already have an expensive phone, so cheapest is probably to bring it instead of buying a new one (iPhones are not cheap in HK). Probably depends on how much the unlock costs at AT&T. The cheapest option is to bring your phone, walk into the next 7-11 and buy a cheapo rechargeable SIM card. Or just get a cheapo contract in HK.

Last edited by 100LL; 25-10-2011 at 09:55 AM.

AT&T does not unlock iPhones (usually). You would be the extremely rare exception if you got them to unlock an iPhone for you (they do unlock other phones).

So basically you will need a jailbreak to unlock it for use over here.

Sell it over there on ebay and buy a new one over here. The rates are published on all the carrier websites (Smartone, 1010, 3HK, etc) or you can wait another month for the iPhone 4S to be released.

The other option is to buy an unlocked iPhone 4S direct from Apple USA, but those don't go on sale until mid-November. If you have friends in Canada or Australia or the UK they can buy an unlocked iPhone 4S today and you could bring that.

I estimate we'll see iPhone 4S around the end of November, early December here in Hong Kong. After the launch in many other countries later this week we may get an update from Apple as to the release dates in the next batch of countries.

Glad to see your priorities are in order anyway..