Like Tree11Likes

The end of unlimited data plans in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Perhaps they should totally block torrents and newsgroup (illegal) downloading as that would free up a lot of bandwith too.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    Perhaps they should totally block torrents and newsgroup (illegal) downloading as that would free up a lot of bandwith too.
    Suggest they block ALL usenet and torrent downloading or just illegal stuff?

If its illegal, is it possible for them to determine what is illegal content and what isn't?

Also, what is the law in HK relating to illegal content?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    It's unlawful.
    shri and JaredHK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Suggest they block ALL usenet and torrent downloading or just illegal stuff?

If its illegal, is it possible for them to determine what is illegal content and what isn't?

Check with the CCB & I am sure they can clarify what is illegal and what isn't.

I am pretty sure illegal downloads take up more bandwith than some 3G user accessing twitter or facebook on his unlimited plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    On my Nokia E72 I barely touch 100MB
    However, when you use more sexy devices, e.g. ipad or smart phones with nice screens, you can easily pull down 100's of MB's a day from photo galleries, newspapers etc etc..
    Not sure 1GB would be enough for that..
    Phones and tablet computers sexy? In Hong Kong maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Phones and tablet computers sexy? In Hong Kong maybe.
    You're clearly not a geek

Perhaps the people hogging the bandwidth are the guys with USB dongles plugged into their laptops. For those to be limited would cause a problem because nobody is going to want a limited plan on their laptop.

Maybe they should just make those dongle contracts more expensive, and make it against the rules of a mobile phone contract to use the phone as a modem/ wifi hotspot uness they pay a premium.

Can't say I'm an expert on these things so feel free to tell me that's impossible.

TheBrit and JaredHK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    It's unlawful.
    You certain on that? Last time I read the relevant legislation (which was admittedly a while back) it was not a criminal offence to download. Of course the copyright owner could seek damages for infringement of copyright through civil courts.

In the legislation there was an exception in the legislation on ownership of pirate material if for personal use. Distribution was a criminal offence and hence that guy getting three months in the slammer for creating 3 torrents. Has anyone ever been successfully prosecuted in HK for downloading copyright material (or for owning a pirate DVD for that matter)?

Of course this may have changed but I wasnt aware of that. I can't recall the specific ordinance to look it up (and being too lazy to search).

Quote Originally Posted by HKNewBi:
    ...Of course the copyright owner could seek damages for infringement of copyright through civil courts...
    Is infringement of copyright unlawful?

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Is infringement of copyright unlawful?
    I tried to google translate this into Chinese and it came back with "Ha Ha Ha".