Which smartphone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which smartphone?

I need a smartphone with WiFi capability. I'm not a heavy email user, but need to stay connected for occasional urgent matters.

I've narrowed it down to:

Nokia E61i - seems ideal features-wise, but it's so wide and bulky.

The Sony Ericsson P1i - great form factor + features, but pricey and I don't know about the unusual keypad.

The new Blackberry 8820 seems great, but no camera.

Anyone have experience with any of these? How to choose?

The Nokia is too wide to hold comfortably. The P1i is too new and therefore overpriced; it also has a reduced number of keys. Don't know about the 8820 but I think it's along the lines of the Pearl and uses SureType with its reduced keyboard.
    If I were in the market I would seriously consider the SE P990i. A steal at 2880 or 24xx in the depths of SSP.

I'm really happy with my N61 ... not that wide and uncomfortable as people make it out to be.

If you're going to be using your phone for email / web browsing, then the extra width is worth it.

Yes, i think I'll go for the E61i. Aside from the width, it seems perfect. Are prices similar everywhere, or are there any bargains to be found?

P1 now going for HKD3,000 to 3,500. It is actually exactly the same as the P990, except for more memory, different form factor (slimmer, different keyboard), better camera, and marginally improved user interface.
    Personally I have used M600, P990, and P1 and like the hybrid keyboard on the M600 and P1 a lot better than the plain one on the P990, but it is a matter of personal preference.

Where can you get the P1i for $3000-3500???
    It's priced at $4600+ everywhere I've looked.
    Do you get used to the hybrid keypad quickly? I tried it out in Fortress but made lots of typing errors.

Quote Originally Posted by grandcider
    Yes, i think I'll go for the E61i. Aside from the width, it seems perfect.
    Everyone to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by beachball
    P1 now going for HKD3,000 to 3,500. It is actually exactly the same as the P990, except for more memory, different form factor (slimmer, different keyboard), better camera, and marginally improved user interface.
    So, they are actually different. I too would like to know where you can get the P1i for HKD3000.

Argyle Street posted prices are in the HKD3,3xx to 3,700 range. After negotiation, cash discount, etc. you are at HKD3,000 to 3,500.

Do you mean the notorious Sin Dak? Well as far as I know they only accept cash/eps and as for negotiation on a new and very much desirable model which you say is marked down well I wouldn't hold your breath.

Just bought the E61i... the phone doesn't seem to vibrate even though I have set "Vibrating Alert: On" in the profile setting. Is there any other setting I need to tweak?

Also can't get the thing to synchronize with my Mac, even though i have downloaded and installed the plug-in from Nokia. Get a "Synchronization Failed" error every time.

Any ideas? Starting to feel a bit of regret...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast