Like Tree5Likes

Apple Seeks to Thwart iPhone Scalpers in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Apple Seeks to Thwart iPhone Scalpers in Hong Kong

Due to high demand, we are accepting a limited number of iPhone reservations per day. To request an iPhone reservation, please choose your store and the iPhone you want. If we have an iPhone reservation for you, you’ll receive a confirmation email by 9:00 p.m. tonight that includes the time when you can pick up your iPhone tomorrow. A government-issued photo ID matching the name and ID number on your reservation is required for iPhone purchases. If you don’t receive an email, we were unable to reserve an iPhone for you, and you can try again another time. Only those who receive an email confirming their reservation will be able to purchase an iPhone; we will not be selling iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S to walk-in customers.
    New iPhone owners

Unlocked Phones available for purchase:

Personal ID for MicroSim swap for 3, 1O1O, and One2Free customers.
    Pay Monthly rate plans:

• Valid Personal ID (Hong Kong ID, Foreign Passport, Business Registration Certificate)
    • Proof of Address (recent utility bill)
    • Valid Hong Kong or International Credit Card
    This should be interesting.

took them long enough to take these measures (nearly 3 months!)

Quote Originally Posted by reprazent:
    took them long enough to take these measures (nearly 3 months!)
    More like nearly three years. The scalper problem has been around since the release of the iphone 3.

Why not have more phones available for sale instead?

It's the reserve program that apple introduced last november (first come first served), was inaccessible for us average joes due to hammering by bot users. (mostly by mainlanders) the reservation duration oftenly lasted less than a few minutes. Apple did not take any measures, not even when people showed them proof.

so now apple turned it into a lottery system, which they should have done in the first place.

Original Post Deleted
    They could if only they moved their factories to china and worked them to the brink of death. Hard work never killed anyone, except for Steve jobs (too soon)?
    luckycat likes this.

I'm thinking of getting a Mac next week when I am in HK. Do I need to register? I will have to check out what it says on the website as I was just hoping to pick one up.

Quote Originally Posted by aliendavid1:
    They could if only they moved their factories to china and worked them to the brink of death. Hard work never killed anyone, except for Steve jobs (too soon)?
    The factories are in China in partnership with Foxcom (taiwanese company). and they are working people to death. There was an article recently in NYTimes, I think, that said Tim Cook, Apple CEO was looking into this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    I'm thinking of getting a Mac next week when I am in HK. Do I need to register? I will have to check out what it says on the website as I was just hoping to pick one up.
    Mac no need to register, iPhone yes. (unless you are shopping in the grey market areas)
    virago likes this.

I just came back with a online ordered iPhone 4S from the states. It seems they have had similar policies in the U.S. For sometime now. No lottery, but if you want to pick it up at the store, you had to order it online the day before, before 9pm....otherwise, order online and wait 5 days for delivery. Gee thanks mainlanders...what else are you going to do to make us miserable....?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast