Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bdw

Which product : Wired and Wireless Wi-Fi

Closed Thread

Which product : Wired and Wireless Wi-Fi

I know such products exist but I dont know what they are called generically and which ones would be suitable for me.

Scenario :
    As a traveler I walk into a hotel room and it only has a wired connection available. I plug in my device which quickly and easily sets up a wireless hotspot and all my wireless enabled devices can use it. I may need help from my laptop as some hotels have pay walls before enabling the connection.
    But sometimes I encounter a hotel room with wireless only so I use my device to connect to the wireless hotspot and then re-transmit/convert the signal into a brand new wireless hotspot for all my devices to use. I may need help from my laptop as some hotels have pay walls before enabling the connection.

What products are suitable to solve the above problems?

Portable Wireless Router.

https://www.google.com/search?q=port...ireless+router

Never used one of those, so I am not sure of the bridging to other wireless network though. You may need to read the details to find the one that can do that.

Last edited by 100LL; 31-01-2012 at 09:54 AM.

I use free software called "connectify". I still need to plug my laptop into the hotel ethernet, but then can share it out with all my other devices.
    Your Hotspot, Your Way - Connectify

Rob2020 likes this.

I think you can also get a portable wireless router that also has 3G capabilities. That would allow you to:

Share an ethernet connection
    Share a wifi connection
    Share a 3G connection (by popping in a local SIM card and going wireless).

If you are just in hotels with good connections, the 3G bit is redundant. But if you will be working at off sites it might be worthwhile.

A pocket Wifi or Hotspot would be useful and supports up to 5 other mobile devices including your laptop. One mobile operator in HK has a no-contract plan that gives you a SIM card with unlimited Data usage for around HKD200 for a month or only HKD 6 per day.