Transferring number from Prepaid to Contract

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Transferring number from Prepaid to Contract

Does anybody know if its possible to switch a number from a peoples pre-paid sim card to a smartone contract.

Reason i ask is i tried to do this on saturday when i bought an iphone 4s and told the sales rep that i had a peoples pay as you go and would like to keep the number. He said that was fine.

However today my phone still hasnt been activated and i got a call from a smartone rep who babbled some crap down the phone saying peoples cant transfer it because the number was registered with my passport or id card. I bought it at a 7Eleven and im fairly certain they didnt ask for my passport or ID card.

Anyway i explained this to the guy who said he'd phone peoples again and call me back, which he never did.

I suspect the guy in the shop thought i was on a peoples contract and i may have to go in and sort out another number!

In principle it should be possible. If anything I'd have thought the problem is that the pre-paid SIM WASN'T associated with you personally. In that case you may need to go to a People's shop with the SIM card and go through some sort of process of validating that it is actually under your ownership.

If you didn't have to do this there is obviously the possibility of anyone simply taking over any prepaid SIM number.

I dont think ive seen a peoples shop since ive been here

I transferred from prepaid to contract last week. Kept same number, they just needed my ID card and proof of address. Was all done in 30 minutes. Had to turn phone off and back on again, worked fine ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    I dont think ive seen a peoples shop since ive been here
    Hong Kong_China Mobile Hong Kong

Gary was it two different providers?

Thanks PDLM, CWB shop is just round the corner from me, ill go see smartone first and see what the deal is.

Not exactly sure, the new contract is with 1010. I think the pre paid was with csl (part of same group?). I'm told that regardless of who you're with transferring is straightforward.

I do think maybe they took copy of my passport for the prepaid Sim. Sorry so vague it was 6 months ago and I don't have the best memory.

I do think you're getting the run around just based on my sample of one. Though circumstances weren't identical.

I transferred a peoples pre-paid number to a contract with no problems at all.

If your phone number is not on a contract and you dont have any outstanding payments, you can go to any service provider and transfer it them.

I started off with a prepaid card from 7-11 from PCCW and changed it to Smartone to get it on a monthly contract after a few months.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast