Best Cell Phone Internet Solution?

Best Cell Phone Internet Solution?

Hey all,

I bought the PCCW wifi plan which lets you use wifi at over 3000 locations, which so far as worked great. I really like the freedom it gives me. However, almost ironically, it has made me carry my laptop with me almost everywhere, which is a major weight problem.

Point is I wanna get a smartphone which can use the web (wifi) as well as a laptop could. I don't want stripped down internet pages, I wanna be able to view youtube, check the news, and use gmail. I also much prefer the phone to be 3g so i can use it in japan/korea. After some research online and at fortess it looks like the sony ericsson p1i and the nokia n95 and the htc touch are the best options. However, I have no experience with these phones, and besides the general specs, know little about them.

I really only care about being able to access the internet in a convienent and easy way. Are any of these phones (or any others) good options for this?
    As i have said, i want a phone with an experience as close to the original as possible.

Thanks alot for all of the help!

I actually only care about portable internet, and I have heard that the ds and psp have internet capability. Is that any good? if so i could just buy that and stick with my current cell.

i am strongly considering the iphone...considering it is now easy to hack for any sim card.

my question - is the wifi compatible with Netvigator Wifi? so i dont need to pay a fortune with my phone bill...but can instead make use of the free netvigator wifi account i have?

also....is it able to set so you DONT use edge or phone company's internet.....otherwise i wont realize i am going to have a large bill until too late.

If you want full internet functionality, how about this:

www.oqo.com

jesus that is more expensive than 3 iphones... i could get an iphone and a cheap laptop for that price....

yesterday i met a guy with an iphone... its a pretty sweet device actually. i am seriously considering just buying an iphone and hacking it. of course, there is another option, getting the ipod touch (which has the same capabilities as an iphone except the phone part) and using that for all of my wireless internet needs.

On tuesday i believe Apple is set to announce a 3g iphone (or so i hear).

p.s. if anyone is interested the guy i met said he bought the iphone for 6,000 already unlocked on argyle street he got the 8gb. thats twice the us price but its not terribly bad when you consider that it is unlocked and imported (still too expensive for me tho)

Just wait a few more weeks. Lots of folks now importing iPhones and the prices should be within 10-20% of the US prices by mid October.

By the way, I'm a happy Nokia E61 user - WiFi, 3G, 2G and a nice wide keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    Just wait a few more weeks. Lots of folks now importing iPhones and the prices should be within 10-20% of the US prices by mid October.
    hmm... that might be worth waiting for actually. even if it gets that cheap can i actually trust those shops not to rip me off?

anyone have experience buying from those sort of places? for cheap stuff i dont care but i consider 400 us + to be an investment worthy of caution

speaking of 2g and 3g im actually quite a cell phone newbie. I know 3g is faster than 2g but i dont plan on using internet except thru wifi. because of that will it actually matter that iphone is only 2.5g? Also, does the iphone work in japan?
    Last edited by pacowc3; 17-09-2007 at 02:54 PM. Reason: additional question

i can always buy an iphone on apple website and have it ship to my home in us for free.......then have it shipped over here super cheap.

well that option is certainly attractive but that requires doing the hacking yourself... there are step by step guides but i would still like someone else to do it for me if at all possbile. considering that will void your warranty anyway coupled with the fact that that will take at least 2 weeks (1 week from apple 1 week to hk) assuming it really is within 10 percent of the us price ill just pay that...

anyone wanna englighten me on the 2.5 vs 3g and workin in japan thing?