Good luck on 9.7 !
I'm missing the ICS gmail and Calendar ...
Pin - I followed your lead, stuck 9.7 on my phone last night.
Let's see how it goes today!
For anyone wondering what all this is about, in a nutshell:
- ICS = Ice Cream Sandwich = Android 4.0
- Android = Operating System for your phone (like Windows on your desktop or iOS on your iPhone)
- "Resurrection ICS" = customised version of Android 4.0
- Firmware = All the software installed on the device to make it run (Operating System, Kernel, System Apps)
- Kernel = low level software that handles basic interactions between the Operating System and the hardware itself
- ROM = Read Only Memory, however, in these discussions ROM generally means firmware
On most Android phones, it is is quite simple to install an alternative firmware on the device.
Why do this? Many reasons, common ones include:
- removing 'bloatware' (stuff installed by phone carriers/manufacturers that you don't really want)
- adding functionality that has been developed by 3rd parties
- a more customised experience, since there are many different ROM's out there tailored for different tastes
Is this for everyone? No. Unless you want to mess about with your phone, don't even bother
Can this be done on other devices? Apple(No), Nokia(Some), Windows Mobile(Some), Blackberry(No)
Want to learn more? [Rom][LPJ KERNEL/13/03]Resurrection Remix ics v9.7 exclusive XXLPH 4.0.3 Full-Wipe - xda-developers
Just want to add, if you do root you will lose your warranty. However there are ways of unrooting your rom so if you do need to return your phone they won't know you've rooted.
Also please please please please please please please only go ahead and root if you know what you are doing. Rooting and installing custom roms is quite simple, but it is also very easy to brick your phone. If you do go ahead and root and install a custom rom and then somehow brick your phone please don't bother coming here and crying about it and blaming us.
Robert, I suggest you try using the Siyah kernel with the above rom: SiyahKernel for SGS2 | "One kernel to rule them all".
Use the ics-3.0 alpha 5 (do not use alpha 6).
Off topic - does anyone hate the "What would you like to do" voice prompt that you get when you accidently double tap the home button? There have been a number of times I have got close to throwing my phone across the room or wanting to sell my S2 for something else less annoying. I hope the update will allow you to disable this crappy/annoying function!!!!!!!!!
Pin - I'll try the Siyah kernel, I was using Siyah with Check ROM and was happy with it, mostly (I had slow wifi acquisition times..)
To remove or freeze apps which cannot be normally removed, check out 'titanium backup'
On the topic of bricking, i'd say it's actually quite difficult to truly brick the SGS2, I have messed things up before and recovered by using Odin to restore to an official ROM.