Like Tree3Likes

Mobile Number Portability

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Yes, so have I.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I use whatsapp because I have friends who do - but honestly I find it pretty annoying. A whatsapp message appears only on my phone, whereas an email appears on my phone (tab); my blackberry AND all my computers (I use 4 interchangeably). Right now, for example, my blackberry is downstairs in my hotel room and I'm up in the exec lounge with just the laptop ..... so it takes me hours longer generally to reply to whatsapp (and SMS I miss regularly).
    The email them.

Or use ChatOn.

Really, you know Whatsapp only works with your assigned mobile number. If you don't like it, then don't use it.

My plan has unlimited internet, enough calls so I never run out (can't remember what)... also plenty of same network sms. My last bill was $240.

It is normally even less but last month I sent a lot of international/ cross network sms.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Yes, so have I.
    actually, possibly a tightass question, can i buy a discounted SIM from apilu street and then take it into a CMHK store to do a number port? or do i need to buy the SIM pack from the CMHK store that does the transfer?

I bought a pre-paid card in a 7-11 and had the number transferred to my i-phone when I bought it in Smartone store.
    Edit: was then given time to use up my existing credit before my i-phone account kicked in.

thanks everyone, we went into the CMHK store in sheung wan on saturday afternoon and did the MNP transfer. he got his SIM and will be on CMHK as of tuesday morning apparently. enough time to get his smartphone up and running.

very easy process. interesting bit of comparative trivia - in australia, to get a prepaid sim card you need to show 100 points of ID and your ID gets linked to the number you purchase, so you can be traced down if you use the number in association with any crime. here in HK, you dont even need to assign your name to your mobile number (if you are on prepaid)! crazy stuff.

Quick question, can a 'prepaid' PCCW sim/number be ported to a Smartone/3/CMHK 'contract'? I bought a PCCW card in HK last week, and when i go back i will get a contract phone, i want to port the number.

The other thing is that mobile usage seems very expensive vs the UK, for example for £30 i can get unlimited SMS, Data, Voice ect. In HK what is the best tariff/provider that you guys have found (for iPhone) heavy user.

Quote Originally Posted by easto:
    Quick question, can a 'prepaid' PCCW sim/number be ported to a Smartone/3/CMHK 'contract'? I bought a PCCW card in HK last week, and when i go back i will get a contract phone, i want to port the number.

The other thing is that mobile usage seems very expensive vs the UK, for example for £30 i can get unlimited SMS, Data, Voice ect. In HK what is the best tariff/provider that you guys have found (for iPhone) heavy user.
    yes you can port.
    cheapest is china mobile (99 or 199 unlimited, depends on which offer they are currently running) but that's only 2G speed. Otherwise 388 - ish for unlimited is very common, and hardly much different to UK costs for MUCH better speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    yes you can port.
    cheapest is china mobile (99 or 199 unlimited, depends on which offer they are currently running) but that's only 2G speed. Otherwise 388 - ish for unlimited is very common, and hardly much different to UK costs for MUCH better speeds.
    China Mobile offer 3g for about 200 a month.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

PCCW actually has better deals than CMHK if you are going on a plan, with their 'ultimate mobility' plan:

PCCW mobile

SIM-only contract $208 for 10gb per month, unlimited SMS and 3000 local minutes