Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MandM!

iPhone Plan

Closed Thread

iPhone Plan

Hello, I've had a look using search but only found stuff from 2011 or 2009.

I'm looking into buying a iPhone 4S but am not sure which would be the best option. Should I buy the phone separately first and then get a plan or go for a phone/plan combo? I'm in HK till Jan next year at least and maybe longer.

If anyone can recommend a good plan to go with as well I'd really appreciate it.

I would buy the phone separately.

If you dont want to pay for the phone up front, you can get an installment plan at Broadway or such.

A plan with phone CAN NOT be cancelled.

A contract without phone CAN be cancelled, and usually just 500 penalty.

I calculated it and everytime with the phone it costs more. Their sales reps are pros at showing you a special calculation, dont believe it.

If you want cheap, China Mobile has 12 months contract, 1200 min and unlimited data, $98 per month. Locals argue the quality of China Mobile, I dont know personally.

Prepaid, 3 mobile ipad sim 198$, works great. 168 per month unlimited data plus 18 monthly fee and 10 cents per minute talk. Pay 300 when u recharge and get 400 credit. So I pay 300 every 2 months. Data doesnt always work, annoying at times, cant use facebook or surf during peak hours, occassionally, not all the time tho.

Smartone 238 per month with some talk minutes and unlimited data, 12 per month tunnel fee, so 250 per month. Smartone is generally accepted as the best reliability and quality.

Be careful for scam value added service. They add VAS and charge you 38 per month, often fixed by an argument. This is often required when you get a contract plan with phone, so they can pocket an extra 38 per month.

Also, why sign a 24 month contract if price is similar or more. You will be stuck with crappy service company, often some companies dont invest in their infrastructure leaving you to suffer.

Also, I have met many people who get a nice data roaming bill, 3k hkd ++, from going to Macau or China. And they pay it. Why risk a surprise bill when I can use prepaid and they cant charge me more than my balance on the phone, they dont know my name or address, so its nice not having to worry for some accidental billing which often happens on contract plans.

These are what I think are the best 3 options.

Let us know what you end up with.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

expato likes this.

buy a crappy phone now & maybe even prepaid and wait for 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    buy a crappy phone now & maybe even prepaid and wait for 5.
    agreed

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

Thanks for advice there. I have had a crappy prepaid mobile since coming here. Can hold off till 5 and see what it's like first.

Does anyone here use the Iphone 4s on China Mobile? I inquired in Fortress today and they guy said it would not work because it was locked to the other carriers, ie. CSL, Smartone etc.

I think he was talking through his arse (the haircut was a dead giveaway) but i though id ask the knowledgeable people of geoexpat.

I want to stay with CM as I've had no problems with them in 3 years. I would like to upgrade to their 3g however as edge sucks!

All help appreciated.
    D

Last edited by dermotp; 27-06-2012 at 01:02 PM.