Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By timonoj
  • 1 Post By Rob2020

Recommend me a mobile service provider for a year

Closed Thread

Recommend me a mobile service provider for a year

Hi,

I'm wondering if any of you kind fellows could help me out. I'm moving to Hong Kong with my girlfriend for a year this coming August and would love a SIM only plan.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 from the UK (unlocked) and it's HSDPA GSM (not LTE).

Priority: Unlimited Data Usage.

I guess around 200 HKD a month will be my budget. I'm use to paying the equivalent of 181 HKD in the UK for Unlimited Data, Unlimited Text and 350 Mins Talk Time but that was due to a loyalty plan. I'm not really fussed with the talk time but the data has to be generous (5 gig min) or unlimited.

Will be living around the Tai Po/Sha Tin area.

I'd like a provider who has a decent coverage but really nice data infrastructure (stability and speed).

I'm eyeing China Mobile (can you call mainland Chinese numbers on this network then?) and Smartone at the moment but would appreciate your opinions on the matter.

Thanks!

Peoples (China Mobile) will offer you a full unlimited data package for 76HKD per month on prepay. The catch: It uses EDGE network. It's an evolution over the old classy GPRS, but frustratingly slow compared to 3G/HSPA. On ideal conditions it should get 200kbps, but you should aim at somewhat 120kbps on good reception. It allows to stream mp3 (preferably AAC instead). It will work rather well for mail/chat, facebook will a bit in loading the pictures, and you can forget about youtube. Peoples usually has good reception, in my opinion.

Skellig likes this.

PCCW.
    $199/Month for unlimited 3g
    Just took this Central, 4pm 20120703

Skellig likes this.

Thank you both for your excellent replies

I'm afraid that I'm too use to HSDPA for me to choose the China Mobile price plan with just EDGE.

The PCCW deal looks awesome though. The upload rate you get is only ever so slightly less than my download rate! UK phone networks are pathetic compared to the Asian ones.

I've been ensnared by that deal.

Could I ask for more details please? Is a annual contract? Rolling contract? Can it be SIM (microSIM) only? And what's the best place to sign up for it?

Sorry to keep pestering!

Www.google.com
    Input "pccw mobile plans"
    Viola.

But to be honest all the networks are much the same price and much the same coverage.

Until you get your flat you won't be able to test which have best reception in it.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks Mobil

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Google

Until you get your flat you won't be able to test which have best reception in it.
    that's so true, 3 was the only provider working properly at work. but at home I have no reception in my bedroom and none at the toilet
    also on the MTR between kowloon tong and tiu keng leng, 3g is totally dead, trying to have a proper conversation is virtually impossible. When my subscription ends I think I'll try 123.

On my Galaxy Y i have a plan through Rabbit Telecom that seems ( on my connection data ) to give me a range of suppliers but I think in the main its NWT. Anyway I have no idea if its EVGE, VEG or DREDGE. It gives me my e mails, I can surf on it enough to let the MTR journey now feel productive. It costs 72 bucks, unlimited data. It's great in my home and anywhere else for that matter. They want a 12 month commitment but you don't have to back it with a CC and can pay cash monthly. Just need a HKID.

Oh and I tether on it in my office because our wifi sucks and that's not penalised in the plan either. F' ing sweet not to be a techy slut craving for the latest thing and happy paying peanuts whilst all you get stripped out by the high street go to guys.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Google
    Input "pccw mobile plans"
    Viola.

But to be honest all the networks are much the same price and much the same coverage.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks Mobil
    Hi, could you provide a more specific link? Is it a prepaid or a contract? If contract, is it one of those 2-3 years contracts? Can you just sign off from it at any point?

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    On my Galaxy Y i have a plan through Rabbit Telecom that seems ( on my connection data ) to give me a range of suppliers but I think in the main its NWT. Anyway I have no idea if its EVGE, VEG or DREDGE. It gives me my e mails, I can surf on it enough to let the MTR journey now feel productive. It costs 72 bucks, unlimited data. It's great in my home and anywhere else for that matter. They want a 12 month commitment but you don't have to back it with a CC and can pay cash monthly. Just need a HKID.

Oh and I tether on it in my office because our wifi sucks and that's not penalised in the plan either. F' ing sweet not to be a techy slut craving for the latest thing and happy paying peanuts whilst all you get stripped out by the high street go to guys.
    Hi Boris, thank you for the info! Actually, I never heard before of Rabbit Telecom. It seems to use the Mobitex network, so I don't know if a normal 3G phone would work off from that. When you say 72 bucks, I take you mean HKD, or are you referring to USD? Do you have a normal phone (samsung, htc, iphone, nokia), or do you use the one in their website pictures, with that big thick antenna?