Simcards

Closed Thread

Simcards

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be in HK for one year and I'll be bringing my own phone with me from Canada (it's unlocked).

I don't really know the carriers in HK...

Any good suggestions?

Do I just get it from 7-Eleven stores? At the airport?

Thanks,

V

ps...are there 1 yr plans?

you can get prepaid sim card easily at 7-11. They have variety networks. I used both PCCW and People Chinamobile and prefer People Chinamobile because they offer unlimited 3G with monthly subscription.

3 HK, CSL and PCCW offers simcards. Normally the economical data plans requires contract for 1.5 to 2 years, still you can try to talk to the CS to find out what suits u most.

You can buy a prepaid and later port it to postpaid plans to any provider as you like. 7-11 and Circle K stores have prepaids and yes at airports!!

i believe depending where you live the reception could be worse certain networks, it's generally accepted that 3 and pccw are rather poor in NT areas, while kowloon and hk island not much of a problem

smartone and csl/one2free are generally accepted as the best, but more expenesive than others

Thanks everyone so far for their opinions... =)

much appreciated!

$48 HKD is all you need to test out a local phone number. There are quite a few companies to choose from and I wasn't sure which to pick. 1010, 3, One2Free, PCCW, and so on. I eventually went with PCCW, which has been fine. I keep the cellular data off on my phone to avoid using up my sim card balance, and only use the cell network when meeting people in the city or in emergencies.

Original Post Deleted
    Because if you include the MTR ride out there and back it isn't worth the extra 5 to 10 bucks you save?

Sorry for going OT

Where is the shumchun/yantian computer center. Seems like its near a Mtr station ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmice:
    Sorry for going OT

Where is the shumchun/yantian computer center. Seems like its near a Mtr station ?

Thanks
    I think they are talking about Shenzhen (Sounds a bit like Shumchun in Cantonese).