Cheapest way to call a mobile in HK from o/s ?

Cheapest way to call a mobile in HK from o/s ?

Hi everyone,

My partner is in HK at the moment and so we need to keep in regular touch by phone. She has a mobile and I understand that in HK the receiver gets charged as well as the person making the call.

I am wondering if anyone knows of a way I can call to her mobile without her incurring any charges.

Thanks

Joe

ecoute, there is no way around it. Incoming and outgoing calls are billed in Hong Kong. The best she could so is use a local calling card, which eliminates roaming charges on her phone.

ecoute,

do you mean you are concerned that when you call her from out of hong kong that she will incur overseas call charges? this is what i understood from your post. if this is it, then don't worry, she will not. she will only have to pay for airtime, which is the same if you were in the same town calling her on her mobile.

ofcourse when calling you if she uses a calling card on her moblie, then she will not incur othe high overseas calling charges the mobile compnay charges but i believe she will still be charged the airtime.

so no way to avoid airtime charge (which isn't too bad here) but unless i misunderstood my salesperson, receiving an overseas call doesn't penalize me with overseas call charges (just standard air time).

Thanks Shri, thanks Tex. Here is Australia we don't have a charge for receiving a call. Anyway appreciate your replies.

extra to phone mobile?

yes, charge for calls received seems independent of where call's from

a while back, my brother in UK told me he'd be charged more if called to my mobile, than if to landline
    (I now route my landline calls to mobile; dunno if the UK phone company can tell that call reaches a mobile, and so hike charges. Not sure if this extra charge for call to a mobile still happens - seems daft to me.)