Like Tree1Likes

Where to buy out of contract smartphone?o

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to buy out of contract smartphone?o

I am thinking of getting a phone out of contract and then adding a prepaid SIM to it.

Where would you recommend getting the smartphone?

ALso, will the prepaid sims at like 7-11 work?

You mean a secondhand smartphone?

Try sin tat in Mongkok

I think all phones sold in Hong Kong are 'unlocked' meaning you can add any SIM card to them. Some stores will only sell to you if you buy a plan, but you can buy an unlocked phone basically anywhere, from the Apple Store to Fortress to Broadway, or if you want to get into the grey markets and used phones then try Sin Tak Centre (Sincere Centre) on Argyle Street in Mongkok. It's the mobile phone palace basically.

But generally any phone you see for sale on the street is probably unlocked and could take any SIM.

MovingIn07 likes this.

Lots of guys on street corners will have secondhand phones for sale. Just look for the ones sitting there with a placard of phones. There is a few beside the Citibank branch in Central, some in the alley behind A&F, and in CWB there are a few outside the Forever 21 on the way to Times Sq. Sorry, don't go to Kowloon side much so cant help there.

what phone are you after, you never know some android phones, better to buy newer entry/midrange which have almost same spec as last years higher end ones, which may be the same price.

It might help if the OP could answer the simple question if they want to buy a full-price new phone without a contract, or a second-hand/cheap/import/etc. phone - the answers will be pretty different...

wilson's communications, fortress, broadway, sunning etc

or if you dont mind parrallel imports then http://astglobalshop.com/

Last edited by jw1701; 04-09-2012 at 12:36 PM.

To clarify, looking for a new unlocked phone, without the contract. Something like an iphone4 or 4s, or Samsung Galaxy S2.

Not interested in a used phone.

If I get a new iphone from apple store, can I get a 7-11 sim card for it? How does data work then?

Quote Originally Posted by Suikoden2005:
    To clarify, looking for a new unlocked phone, without the contract. Something like an iphone4 or 4s, or Samsung Galaxy S2.

Not interested in a used phone.

If I get a new iphone from apple store, can I get a 7-11 sim card for it? How does data work then?
    Yes you can. Here's an example of how data on prepaid works:

one2free

Or you might be better of with this non-contract plan:

Price plans - Basic 3G price plans

Quote Originally Posted by sxc:
    Yes you can. Here's an example of how data on prepaid works:

one2free

Or you might be better of with this non-contract plan:

Price plans - Basic 3G price plans
    thanks.

that 2nd link you got up there - is that the plan you get if you get an out of contract SIM from smartone?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast