Hi all!,

Me and my girlfriend got to HK few weeks ago and I hope you can help me work this out. I need a smartphone and a data plan, and I thought of just getting a subscription and the phone with it.

I went to a Smartone shop, browsed their web and chatted to an agent. Almost every phone needs a 24 months contract, you pay for the phone in advance and then they substract the amount divided by the 24 months from your monthly fee.

The problem I see in this is, if the contract is broken after a year (leaving HK, for instance), then I have already paid for the phone and still will have to pay for the remaining monthly fees till the 24 months.

This is why I thought of buying the phone separately and just having a 1 year sim only contract.

However, the price of the phone is normally cheaper with the subscription than buying it near Sham Shui Po, for instance.

So, I ask for your help:

- Do all operators act like Smartone with this deals? Do you know any other more convenient for my sitution (phone, data and 1 year contract)?

- Where do you recommend buying a phone otherwise (I have read Broadway shops. I know a small shop named Cheap HK offers good prices)?

Thanks for your experienced advice!