3G service with 2G phone?

Closed Thread

3G service with 2G phone?

i am told by Smartone reps that I can use my iphone (2G) with a 3G service plan. I have a few questions:

1. Can anyone confirm this works?
    2. Will the internet browsing be faster? (I know it wont be full 3G speeds, but would it be faster than standard 2G network browsing?)
    3. Is there any downsides I am missing?

Yes it should work but you will of course just get 2g speeds and no actual benefits of 3g.

Not much point really.

As the iphone is only 2G then it is more cost effective to stick to a 2G plan. IMHO signing up for 3G using a 2G phone is a waste of your money.

thats what i thought....but i wanted to confirm that it would not be slightly faster or better connection or anything like that then the normal 2G network would offer.

A 2G phone will only connect to a 2G (or supposed 2.5G) network. But it will be able to make use of the data technologies on that network, for example GPRS, EDGE. Using a 3G card will still allow you to connect to the 2G backbone but will offer no advantages over a 2G card. Check what services are available to you with the provider.

Hi Bender,

I have had an iPhone on the smartone network for the last 4 months. I have got a 3G plan for 68hkd and also an additional data plan for 80mb per month for 268 or something like that. I was told by various friends that in order to get the data transfer plans to ensure that you were not presented with large data bills you needed to go for the 3G plans. In addition to that, I know that when I tried to use the phone with my existing GPRS plan I could not get email and safari to work at all on SMS & Phone. Since I have had my 3g plan, I have had no problems with everything working as it should and have incurred no extra data charges and I am happy knowing exactly what my monthly bill will be. Have not looked into GPRS plans since then and perhaps with the new firmware it works better now. Note I have jailbroken and upgraded my own phone and it sits now at 1.1.3.

This might also help as it has some useful information about iphones in hong kong.

iPhone Hacked in Hong Kong on Smartone-Vodafone | Vinko's Thoughts On...

Cheers,

Paul

But doesn't iPhone only support Edge?

I thought that Mr Jobs was not happy about the battery consumption when doing 3g and iPhone does 2.5G edge?

someone correct me.

As for not incurring any extra charges on Vodaphone it is because you have not done anything fancy installed your own programs or use any protocols other than those that they proxy for you. Vodaphone even with their latest price drops is not an option. It only takes a program you install to start doing downloads or and updates to a server for you to find yourself with a hefty bill.

1KB = HK$0.10
    downloading a 400KB update or program will cost HK$40.