Blackberry

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Blackberry

Does anyone know which mobile service provider has blackberries that supports IBM Lotus Domino? Went to Smartone and they're not able to do it.

Thanks

To support Domino, the company would need to buy some special software to connect the Domino to the Blackberry network.

( BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM) )

Not something they'll be able to help you at a retail level, but most of the telco's business service teams will be clued in on how to setup.

Thanks KIA

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Surprised Smartone told you that. We are talking about RIM's Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) - i.e. - corporate networks - right? Or do you mean the actual handhelds?

Hutchison (3) used to be able to do it when RIM came to HK some years ago - they marketed it to us quite strongly, though we were looking to let the BES infrastructure and its license cost remain in our N. American head office but have the BB devices and comm. accounts sourced from HK or other country locally. That's exactly what we ended up doing. Same with Smartone when we handed over the local end to them in HK. The devices worked fine for users on Lotus Notes e-mail and those on MS Exchange Server/Outlook Client. And even the odd user with a personal local BB from 3 or S-V but without a corporate BES account could use the client version with Notes client on their PC (later disallowed by us for internal reasons).

Check with all three - 3, Smartone-Vod, and CSL. Hard to believe any of them even at this time would choose to forsake the market for one of the only two enterprise e-mail systems it was designed for.

KIA's right - at the retail level they probably can't tell you much.

HKFella,

Yes, RIM's Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) - i.e. - corporate networks - right? Something like that. Need a service provider that's able to provide lotus, BES, thingy, something like that. Not the blackberry. If they can provide the service then I'll get the blackberry. But as helpful as they are, they are more willing to sell the set than anything else.

You've got to reach the right people - the business support team. Here, throw this Smartone's own website at them which says it all: BlackBerry from Vodafone - BlackBerry Enterprise Solution

OK so now they support a third e-mail system too (Groupwise).

These as well, so now you are spoilt for choice (assuming they don't have a typical HK cartel):

3 (Hutchison)
    3 Hong Kong : Business Central : BlackBerry : BlackBerry Enterprise Solution TM

CSL
    1010 Blackberry Enterprise Service
    CSL sales inquiry page:1010 - Sales Enquiry

HkFella,

Thanks heaps!

HKFella,

Sorry, one more question, I've been asked to use a forwarding service instead. But I rather not do it. It is possible to have a straight forward service, i.e., emails going right to my work account and then from my work account out again, without using a mail forwarding system.

Sorry, I'm quite an idiot with such things

Maybe they are talking about the Desktop service like the first of the two options in here:

SmarTone-Vodafone Mobile Email - BlackBerry Connect

I don't know how it is now, but in days past if a user wanted to get this desktop software working with one's Lotus Notes mail, without having a Blackberry Enterprise Server account in the corporate system, they'd install this client software on the desktop (at work) where they'd access their Notes mail from, and leave it on and running in order for the incoming messages to get forwarded to the device. This would happen from the PC, and had nothing to do with the organization's e-mail server (the company and the company didn't even need to have a BES). Not a great way of doing it but better than nothing, and probably the only way if the number of users is small. Not sure if leaving it on is still a requirement or RIM have found some clever way around that.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast