keeping US cellular number/skype/forwarding calls

Closed Thread

keeping US cellular number/skype/forwarding calls

ok. so i plan on having a hk cellular number when i move (obviously. i also love my american number and plan to come back, so i'll pay the 20bucks or so to keep it 'basic'....would love to be able to still get calls on it while keeping it cheap...so here's an idea - i've never used skype, but after doing some research is this a viable/cheap plan?

keep my US number- have all calls fwd to my US skype number- have all the incoming calls to my skype number fwd to my hong kong number??

looking at skype's fees- i can pay as i go- so i'd pay for a monthly skype number- then i'd pay the connection fee (4 cents each), then i'd pay for international calling fees (2 cents/minute)

so if in one month i get one call from a us number that lasts 10 minutes, i should only have to pay 4+20 = 24 cents for that call (plus the US phone number) correct?

yes, that should work. You can also purchase a Skype mobile phone in HK - they have very cheap rates to North America.

Forwarding that many times I would be wary of the delay caused by hopping that many datacenters. Our business has something like that set up so we can call locally to the US but it really does lag. I have skype and it's great but that's a good question. I'd like to hear how that works out if you give it a go.

Or the other option is probably skype VOIP. Though I don't think VOIP is available through 3G. I think you can use it through wifi spots. Somethign to look into.