Like Tree2Likes

iphone expert in HK needed - setting up iCloud wiped all my photos

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL
    transfers images to my computer/NAS via WiFi. Costs HK$ 23
    Synology has this for free on their NAS software. I presume others have something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof
    Synology has this for free on their NAS software. I presume others have something similar.
    Are you actually doing this? Can you explain a little more? (long term Synology user here, since 2004 I believe).

Are you actually doing this? Can you explain a little more? (long term Synology user here, since 2004 I believe).
    I got a Synology DS2** or so. Check your app store (ios/android) and look for 'Synology'. A few apps will show. Cloud, File, Download + + + ... and Photo. Install Photo and follow instructions.

Download is cool too, it does torrents directly on the NAS - and you also search tv series for dl from your phone. I know, you only do legal torrents, as we all do.

I am only using "DS File" once in a while, but have tried the other apps over the years.

If I understand you right you suggest using the Synology Photo Station and their app "DS photo" on the phone. This requires Photo Station including its database, user interface, file structure, user management and all that, while I only want a file based photo backup.

Photo Station is an online photo album integrated with a blog for you to easily share photos, videos, and blog over the Internet. Moreover, you can also browse photos and watch videos saved on your DiskStation with your iPhone, iPad and Android mobiles on the go.
    As a simple backup and archive solution most people don't need all that - at least not me.

The app I linked to gives you basically the photo and video files of your iPhone or Android device in a folder structure (the exact way can be customized):

2016/01 (all photos of January)
    2016/02 ...
    2016/03 ...

My phones files and my wife's phone's files are in separate folders. We just returned from a Macau trip with the little ones and several hundred photos and videos of Easter action all ended up in their respective folders on the NAS automagically.

It can also transfer the files to your computer or NAS every time you are at home or similar stuff. I'd say it almost has too many features as most if it I don't use.

Definitely a good photo/video backup and archive solution if what you want are files (in my case they get further backed up and indexed in Picasa).

I can only recommend it, but I am sure there are other ways. Before I discovered that I did it manually, by backing up folders from the phone to the NAS once in a while. It got really difficult to keep track, also the wife did only have smaller flash memory on the phone and constantly wanted to remove the oldest files. With the app you basically don't need to worry, as it always transfers all the new files to your NAS/computer so you can simply delete the biggest ones or all the old ones if you need to free up memory on your phone.
    Last edited by 100LL; 28-03-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Since I avoid having my family pictures in the cloud, I use this since last year. Has worked great so far for both my wife and me . Automatically transfers photos and videos to my computer/NAS via WiFi. Costs HK$ 23 (only paid once since my wife is on my family account on iTunes).

https://photosync-app.com/
    Thanks, I will try that out when I am home. Sounds exactly what I need. I also use Picasa as my primary tool for viewing photos, and keep them in a folder system I can understand (YYYY/MM occasion). Currently the photos from phones are copied and filed on a best efforts basis, which is basically once a year or so - not optimal.

I am a bit worried Google will pull support for PIcasa though, now they are going for their Google Photos solution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    I am a bit worried Google will pull support for PIcasa though, now they are going for their Google Photos solution.
    I am afraid they already did:
    Picasa Blog

As of March 15, 2016, we will no longer be supporting the Picasa desktop application. For those who have already downloaded thisor choose to do so before this dateit will continue to work as it does today, but we will not be developing it further, and there will be no future updates.
    I have used Picasa for many years and I figure I can still keep going for a few years. It works on Windows 10 too as far as I can tell (in case I decide to upgrade my Windows 7 setup). And I am using it offline, so don't need Google.
    Last edited by 100LL; 28-03-2016 at 09:16 PM.
    TheBrit likes this.

I am afraid they already did:
    Picasa Blog

I have used Picasa for many years and I figure I can still keep going for a few years. It works on Windows 10 too as far as I can tell. And I am using it offline, so don't need Google.
    Meh. I will look around for other solutions over time. Will post back if I find anything decent. This does make me happy with my decision to keep a folder based structure rather than throw them all into an application and trust that to keep them though... Easy enough to point a new app at the photos folder and delete Picasa. The only significant thing that resides in Picasa is the face tags, which is nice to have but not a deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis
    Thanks, unfortunately none of these programmes work to recover photos from the 4S - only earlier iPhones, and other types of files in the 4S. There is currently no way to recover photos deleted from 4S or later.

With regards external hard drive, iPhones unfortunately aren't like other phones. You can't just plug them in and copy and drop files from the phone to another location - e.g. to an external hard drive. You can only back them up via iphoto or itunes - unfortunately neither of these programmes work on my laptop as there's not enough disc space to run them.

Only solution is to upgrade my laptop I think.
    this post is years old, hoe you got it sorted, 'image capure' is an awesome software that lets u put all your photos onto external hd without iphotos etc. hope this helps

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3