Like Tree2Likes

iphone expert in HK needed - setting up iCloud wiped all my photos

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

iphone expert in HK needed - setting up iCloud wiped all my photos

I had about 600 photos on my iPhone, but had not set up iCloud due to battery drain issues. Yesterday someone said I should set it up for photos. Not knowing how to do this properly all I did was in Settings slide the photostream button to on. I didn't turn on the backup & storage bit down the bottom - didn't know you had to.

Then today when I went to look at a photo, I discovered they've all gone! I went into the Apple Store to try to get help. They have made it worse, as they decided to restore my phone from iCloud. That has now wiped absolutely everything off my phone. Including my Whataspp conversations - the one plae where some of the photos were stored as media when i sent them to people :-(

It's also wiped all the Apps I've purchased. The Appstore on the phone is only showing about 4 apps as purchased, but I've bought about 15.

The photos must be somewhere electronically in the depths of this phone, there must be a way to get them back? Unfortuantely it seems that my itunes wasn't set to auto backup my phone when I plugged it into my laptop.

Does anyone know a real computer whizz in HK who might be able to help me?

Thanks

Did you ever upgrade your iPhone software via iTunes? There might be an old
    backup of your phone from then? Good luck trying to get them back. Sounds like the Apple store 'genius' completely dropped the ball on this.

Thanks. No I've always upgraded software from the phone. This wasn't the store "genius" just a well meaning shop assistant... I have an appointment with the store "genius" later but I'm not hopeful. From my online research it seems likely the only way I'm going to get the data back is by paying someone to run some forensic software on it.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a company that could do this in HK please?

I am not an expert on apple stuff, but probably best to keep the phone off as things will get written over the pictures. (If it does get written over then its gone forever)

Did you do a backup when you had your iPhone's glass replaced recently?

No, i couldn't as my Macbook Air memory is full. It was absolutely fine after the glass was replaced - photos and all other data was still there. But it was because of my experience with the screen that I decided it was time to set up iCloud! I sincerely wish I'd left it alone...

Few questions I need to ask first:

1. Did you jailbreak your iPhone?

2. Do you have more than one Apple ID? This is because your Apple ID account stores every Apps you've ever downloaded (be it free or purchased), there is no way it will miss out Apps and showing only 4 of 15. I've still got Apps listed under my account which I deleted 3 years ago which I had paid for.

3. Were the photos you had your iPhone actually taken using your iPhone or synced in via iTunes?

Photostream makes puts a copy of your photos that were taken from your iOS device and puts it into iCloud, the latest 1000 photos. So it does not actually delete any photos.

You had never turned on the 'Backup and Storage' but at the bottom of the iCloud settings page, but then then did a Restore from iCloud?!?!?!??! WTF?

The shop assistant did it! I'm clueless that's why i went there for help.

I don't know what jailbreaking the phone is.

Hmm yes I think I may have more than one Appleid - however i've only ever purchased apps through the phone itself so not sure how it would switch ID... Earlier today after the assistant had messed up the phone, he looked at the list of apps and they were all there then - he reinstalled whatsapp for me. However an hour later when i got home only 4 were showing.

The photos were taken using the phone.

Do you have iPhoto on you Mac? If so, assuming your OSX is of a newish version, open iPhoto and switch on the Photostream. Make sure the settings in Preferences are set so your Mac does not upload photos to it. Give it a bit of time to load and see if your photos are there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast