Headphones?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Jay: thanks for that. Are you confident that the PX100 would be better than my current B&Os? I remember reading about them and taking a look at it at one of the two audio and electrical shops at PP, but was told that the B&O is in fact better at low volume than some of the Sennheisers and other ones. B&O is a Sony really and clarity is quite good. Is this true? That was what I was told!
    What do you think? And is there something 'better' than the PX100 but without having huge cans on my head. I have a small head and it looks kind of funny hehe. Plus I don't mind spending a bit more money for a higher quality sound.

Gita- I know that you mentioned not wanting earbuds, but if you are after good quality sound at a reasonable price, in-canal phones are pretty much unbeatable. I also find them much more comfortable than the ear-buds.

Something like the Etymotics ER6i's are around 800, give fantasic isolation and really good sound clarity. They were a huge improvement over my PX250s and easier to carry around as well.

The major downsides of in-canal phones are that you have to stick them in your ear canals, but that's pretty easy if you are used to using earplugs. And they isolate so well that you need to be really careful when crossing the street, as you don't hear traffic noise.

thanks for that! my only hesitancy about in-canal is that, and get ready for this... will it impair your hearing? i remember reading somewhere that they are not so good for the ears. it is a serious question. that's why i am thinking about the ear muff kind.

I have very sensitive ear canals and spent many months looking for the most comfortable ones to buy.
    Ended up with the Bose in ear set and I must say they are brilliant.

One happy camper

ok mr. happy camper, is there a model no. for the bose please?

Bose only make one model of in-ear headphones

Check out their website for the specs.

I paid around HK$700 for them from the Bose store in Central.

They come with 3 different sized interchangeable ear tips for comfort

Last edited by Cookie666; 20-06-2008 at 02:19 PM.

In-canal ones impair your hearing so far as they block out all external sound. Is that your concern?

If you are worried about longer term effects, in-canal headphones are fine for your hearing. They're much better than earbuds or even non-isolating cans in that you can keep the volume turned down low, and still hear the music perfectly well because the headphones don't have to compete with street noise.

If you are concerned about in-ear headphones being comfortable, the Etymotics come with two or three sets of different-sized eartips, and the Shures come with something like six options so you can find the size that fits you most comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    In-canal ones impair your hearing so far as they block out all external sound. Is that your concern?

If you are worried about longer term effects, in-canal headphones are fine for your hearing. They're much better than earbuds or even non-isolating cans in that you can keep the volume turned down low, and still hear the music perfectly well because the headphones don't have to compete with street noise.

If you are concerned about in-ear headphones being comfortable, the Etymotics come with two or three sets of different-sized eartips, and the Shures come with something like six options so you can find the size that fits you most comfortably.
    thanks guys! i will take a look at both of them!
    jgl: where did u buy your etymotics from please?

A store on Argyle Street, Mong Kok. Can't remember the exact location- there is a long GeoExpat thread that discusses stores that sells headphones in HK.

You can also get them online: Etymotic: Most Popular - eXpansys Hong Kong

thank you!