Nokia E71 - Disappointed!

Closed Thread

Nokia E71 - Disappointed!

Is it me or is the new revision of Nokia's Qwerty phone a disappointment?

Nokia Europe - Nokia E71 - Technical specifications

Other than HSDPA and a camera, I don't see much improvement over my existing E61. Am I missing something??

sounds about right.

The dimensions are very small for a qwerty phone as it is only 66cc. The phone is only 57mm wide so it is very narrow and harder to type into than the E61. So f--k it!

They also could have made the screen bigger and have retractable keyboard.

It does look like Nokia will be abandoning Symbian next year after they purchased some Linux based phone development company. I would hold off any Nokia purchases. It would be nice if they retrofitted older phones with Linux. Yes, I will carry on dreaming on, its Nokia we are talking about here.

I did spot this gem ..

# FM radio 87.5-108 MHz with RDS support

So much for Nokia's original "enterprise phone" ...

Have been playing around with it and, while not a major upgrade from E61, it is not bad.

Hardware is actually quite nice - signficantly smaller than E61 (although screen also shrunk by 26.5% from 2.8” to 2.4”), yet typing is pretty much the same as before. Other HW upgrades:
    - aGPS
    - slightly better battery life
    - better camera with AF
    - full Edge/HSDPA connectivity
    - Bluetooth now 2.0

Improvements on the SW front:
    - possible to encrypt data on device and memory card (corporates will like)
    - nice quick look-up function for contacts from main screen
    - more applications in standby
    - mode function
    - improved media functions (more video codecs and Flash Lite)
    - sadly, only minor upgrades to the mail program (folder management etc. still sucks)

In short, not a revolutionary upgrade but definitely serviceable for somebody looking for a compact device with QWERTY keyboard.

BTW, several (not all) E series handsets have had FM radios for a while now (yes, I know that the E61 did not...)

>> Screen also shrunk by 26.5% from 2.8” to 2.4”)

Personally this makes it a downgrade. Don't think I could deal with the screen being any smaller than what it is.

Guess, I'll have to wait and watch for the next one to replace my E61.

i thought it wasnt released yet?

Quote Originally Posted by beachball:
    Have been playing around with it and, while not a major upgrade from E61, it is not bad.

Hardware is actually quite nice - signficantly smaller than E61 (although screen also shrunk by 26.5% from 2.8” to 2.4”), yet typing is pretty much the same as before. Other HW upgrades:
    - aGPS
    - slightly better battery life
    - better camera with AF
    - full Edge/HSDPA connectivity
    - Bluetooth now 2.0

Improvements on the SW front:
    - possible to encrypt data on device and memory card (corporates will like)
    - nice quick look-up function for contacts from main screen
    - more applications in standby
    - mode function
    - improved media functions (more video codecs and Flash Lite)
    - sadly, only minor upgrades to the mail program (folder management etc. still sucks)

In short, not a revolutionary upgrade but definitely serviceable for somebody looking for a compact device with QWERTY keyboard.

BTW, several (not all) E series handsets have had FM radios for a while now (yes, I know that the E61 did not...)

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    >> Screen also shrunk by 26.5% from 2.8” to 2.4”)

Personally this makes it a downgrade. Don't think I could deal with the screen being any smaller than what it is.

Guess, I'll have to wait and watch for the next one to replace my E61.
    Don't disagree with that. I find that the horizontal orientation helps (especially for e-mail), but it is mighty small - 15% smaller than the 2.6" screen on my SE P1...

Quote Originally Posted by Nghia:
    i thought it wasnt released yet?
    Official launch event was on Monday, but prototypes and test devices have been circulating for a while.

From a design perspective it looks more upmarket and looking at the specs it certainly seems to be an improvement BUT the concern will be usability. Seems the smaller screen may not be the way to go, although that depends on clarity - and of course how bad your eyesight is. Need to get my hands on one to take a closer look and do hope, as mentioned above, that Nokia replace Symbian at some point.......

The reviews I have seen for this are all positive. I have the E51 and think it's great, but would like the "bigger" screen of the E71 and the QWERTY. Does anyone know where to get the E71 and what the pricing is?