Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pin

PCCW to buy CSL

Mefisto likes this.

From the article:

HKT, the telecommunications arm of Richard Li Tzar-kai’s PCCW, has agreed to acquire CSL New World Mobility, a subsidiary of Australia’s Telstra, for US$2.425 billion (HK$18.866 billion).
    What an incestious journey it has been...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_CSL_Limited

So Hong Kong people are left with what options now? Rich Li's conglomerate, the incoming Chinese and...?

And what's wrong with this picture? According to Wikipedia, Telstra paid some US$4 billion for CSL ten years ago and is now selling it for little over half of that. Albeit there's the NWM acquisition too muddying the picture.

February 2001: PCCW sells 60% of CSL to Telstra for $3.05 billion, in a joint venture called "Regional Wireless Company" (RWC).[7][8]
    July 2002: Telstra purchases PCCW's 40% stake in RWC for A$1.1billion, giving Telstra 100% ownership of CSL.[9]
    Last edited by Mefisto; 20-12-2013 at 02:25 PM.

oh great news...that's like Apple buying Samsung (mobile division)

just moved from 3HK to CSL last year, even though I expect little to no change in network performance. Do not like PCCW dominating the market, without competition?

Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto:
    And what's wrong with this picture? According to Wikipedia, Telstra paid some US$4 billion for CSL ten years ago and is now selling it for little over half of that. Albeit there's the NWM acquisition too muddying the picture.
    The telstra implants at CSL are assholes, like an inverse king Midas - everything they touch turns to shit.

Dilemma time. I try to avoid PCCW as much as possible, due to their awful customer services.

One2Free have generally been fine, I in Feb I was going to sign up with them again. Now with this, I'm not sure. Buyout apparently will take place early next year.

In the short term they probably will keep the brands separate. However in the medium / long term, I cannot see PCCW having four different brands (PCCW Mobile, 1O1O, one2free, NWT Mobile), so there will probably have to be some consolidation. I suspect at the very least PCCW Mobile and one2free will merge into one. I reckon they will keep 1O1O as their premium brand. As for NWT Mobile, will they keep it as separate operation targeting the budget market, or will they consolidate it with one2free / PCCW Mobile?

But with this merger PCCW Mobile will have by far the biggest network with the best coverage of all the HK providers.

So I need to decide, stick with one2free, knowing there is a very good chance it will merge with PCCW Mobile with crappy customer service, but with the best network coverage. Also on top of that it seems all the providers have started putting their prices up a bit. Three and China Mobile seem decently priced, but Smartone recently has got as expensive as 1O1O. Three I have found generally OK and China Mobile are also fine, but I have found their network coverage to be average.

Oh well, first world problems, but then again what isn't a first world problem when you live in the first world?

Last edited by pin; 21-12-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Angry Avaricious Dickhead Li

I read in today's paper that Skinhead Li is taking out a "Bridging Loan" to acquire these phone companies.

I suppose that his attempted shafting of me - and all other Spamvigator users - by huge rises of monthly fees on any new contract will partially pay for his interest payments & give him more "Pocket Money" to spend.

Stuck with his phone lines at the moment - but shot of Spamvigator and enjoying i-Cable's effectively $148 p.m. on a 5 month free 50/10Mbps circuit.

Of course, YMMV, but I'm satisfied with my i-Cable price & availability.