Phone plan without contract period?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Phone plan without contract period?

I would like a plan with some data an a little voice for a fixed monthly price. But I will only need it for 5 months, so no need for a 12 months contract period. Anyone who knoe where I can get one?

I have tried smartone but they don't have any.

Try China Unicom, they have one plan under HKD100 without contract and unlimited data.

Quality of network and coverage might not be comparable to Smartone however.

Try Smartone $68+12 plan unlimited data and plenty of minutes. I believe its a 6 month contract, but should get you better coverage and $80x6 =$480 can't be beaten.

Okay, because my plan when I arrive in Hong Kong is to buy an octopus in the airport kiosk and then go to the Tsing Yi MTR station and buy a sim card a smartone then. Can I have an activated SIM card right away?

I will kill myself without GPS and google maps

Quote Originally Posted by booth:
    Try Smartone $68+12 plan unlimited data and plenty of minutes. I believe its a 6 month contract, but should get you better coverage and $80x6 =$480 can't be beaten.
    second the smartone $68 plan, it's what I use. There is an added $15 so monthly total is $95.

Okay, but 100 and 200 HKD is also alright, I just don't want suddently to receive a bill of 3000 HKD fx.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    second the smartone $68 plan, it's what I use. There is an added $15 so monthly total is $95.
    Do Whatsapp & Skype work ok on this plan with the data speed at 384kbps?

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Do Whatsapp & Skype work ok on this plan with the data speed at 384kbps?
    Yes

10 chars

Yes whatsapp and Facebook work. Tethering, sharing your data via hotspot, and bit-torrent does not work. And don't take your phone overseas, avoid the unexpected roaming charge, but as long as you know how to turn off the roaming, then it is fine. But better not to risk it.

Smartone can activate the phone right away, but SIM card might take a few hours to be "online".

For a contract plan like this, I think you need ID (passport or HKID) and proof of address. I got away without the proof of address but then they mail you something and ask you to bring it in later or something like that. But point is, you need to provide a mailing address.

Alternatively, there is a China Mobile 2g sim card, very slow, with unlimited data, that is something like $30-40 per month, but you need to pay for each minute you call someone. It is completely prepaid and doesn't require ID, address or contract. But again, smartone will offer better quality service overall. I'm stuck in a contract with 3 and a lot of times during peak hour I can't even use my phone data. Annoying!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast