Cell phone Carriers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cell phone Carriers

Here in the U.S , the major cell phone carriers are Verizon, AT%T , T-mobile ,etc.

In Hong Kong, who are the major cell phone carriers?

Are those companies also providers in China or separate companies servicing Hong Kong & China?

Thanks

CSL (owned by Telstra of Australia)
    SmarTone (owned by Vodafone)
    PCCW (owned by Little Richard)
    Peoples (owned by China Mobile)
    3 (owned by Little Richard's dad)

China and Hong Kong are separate countries as far as mobiles are concerned, so you need different SIM cards to get local service in each place. Obviously though HK mobiles can roam into China and vice versa, at the usual high prices.
    Last edited by PDLM; 01-07-2008 at 01:57 PM.

One of those cell companies makes a SIM card that has both a HK and PRC phone number on it and it knows when to use each one, thus eliminating roaming and the need to switch SIM cards crossing the border. Don't recall which company, though.
    CSL is the ATT affiliate here in HK.
    And in the 3 plans, calls back to the US (from HK) just come off your normal minutes. As do calls into PRC, Ireland and a few other countries.

I just wanna clarify...as I know...Smartone is not owned by Vodafone...like what its website states "SmarTone-Vodafone is a partner network of Vodafone, the world's leading mobile telecommunications company." btw, thanks for the info shared

Sorry, yes - they have an agreement to use the Vodafone brand.

Cell Company contact info

My company is in the real estate asset management for the wireless industry. We work with major carriers here in the U.S as well as Europe. Our main business is working with cell tower owners in offering buyouts for the cell site in return will help cell carriers on there monthly operating expense.

Of those 5-6 companies listed above, would anybody know how i can get in contact with the VP or corporate decision makers in potentially doing business with my company?

Thanks

Michael,

You have obviously never been to Hong Kong. There are very very few cell towers. HK is an extremely dense high-rise urban area - the cell sites are generally antennas stuck on the outside of buildings with the associated equipment in small leased rooms within them. Very, very few cell sites are owned by the operators.

those cell site you mention, who owns those sites? Some company has to pay a LL or building owner rent every month to have that equipment up there.....

In general the mobile company rents the space from the building owner or landlord.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Many of the buildings are government ones, e.g. government offices and public housing estates.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast