Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By orionx999

Avoiding roaming on my HK number while overseas for several months?

Avoiding roaming on my HK number while overseas for several months?

Hi all. I'll be going back to Canada for a few months. I'm currently on one2free and taking every call to my HK mobile number in Canada via roaming is not financially feasible.

Has anybody else left HK for several months but was able to forward their incoming calls some way while overseas by avoiding roaming? Is it possible to forward incoming calls to some type of online software and then take the call on the computer/laptop/IPad instead to avoid roaming?

Would appreciate it if anybody that has experience with this could explain how I can still take calls to my HK number while I am in Canada (any advice you can give so that I can also receive Whatsapp messages on my HK number in Canada would also be useful).

Thanks!

Rob2020 likes this.

You could set up a Skype-in number in HK and then forward all your One2Free calls to that number. When anyone calls your HK number, it will forward to Skype, and it will ring or go to voicemail depending on your Skype status in Canada. I'm sort of the opposite of you, I set up a Skype-in in the U.S. so that people could call me from there as if it were a local call for them. If I wanted to, I could have set up call-forwarding on my U.S. cell number to save having to give out a new number, but since I'm here for the long-haul it made sense.

Whatsapp works by device, so all you have to do is remove the One2Free SIM from your device, and as long as you have a data connection (i.e. wifi, you don't even need a data plan in Canada) you'll still receive Whatsapp messages. I opened my Whatsapp account in the U.S. when I was on T-Mobile, and I've been using it without issue here in HK with my One2Free prepaid SIM. People in the U.S. and H.K. send me messages without any issues.

Thanks joyojc. I figured I would have to use Skype for this. I guess I'll have to look into how to obtain a Skype Hong Kong number. Anyways, I appreciate your help on this.

If anybody else has a different solution than Skype, feel free to follow up with your answer. Thanks.

As already mentioned, the easiest solution is using Skype in.
    https://secure.skype.com/skypein/num...de=HK&voucher=

If you want an online software to take the calls on laptop/ipad etc as per your initial post, then yes SKYPEIN is the obvious answer and you can buy a HK number on the skype website with your credit card and 5 minutes of your time.

Another offline solution, just buy a cheap Canadian SIM card in Canada and forward your HK incoming calls to the Canada number. You can then receive straight to your normal Canada phone. There are no roaming charges here, but there are international charges to forward the call from HK to Canada. This is usually not too expensive and there are packages out there for this (eg you can pay something like $40 per month on top of your HK mobile bill for unlimited calls overseas to XX number of countries).

By the way, if your HK mobile is with PCCW (I know the OP is one2free so cannnot but just for information for others) then PCCW have an app for iphone and android called "King King" or something like this that lets you make and receive calls using your normal HK number when you are connnected to a wifi hotspot. So for example, you are in Canada connected to wifi, you can make and receive calls using your normal HK number over that wifi connection.

PCCW deliberately stop this app working over a 3G/4G data connection and it only works on wifi. I am not sure their logic in this, whether it is a commercial decision or technical limitation.

How about leaving a voicemail on your HK number that says "I'm in Canada, please call me on +1 xxx xxxx xxxx or send me an email". no cost for that....