Info on iPhone software

Info on iPhone software

A question for those who have actually purchased their own iPhones and have the PC software, etc.

Does the software allow you access to areas such as text messages on the phone? Does it allow you to read and enter text using your PC?

Strange question I know but this capability is a great feature on the Nokia PC Suite software cos allows me to receive texts in Chinese which I can copy and translate in Babelfish (or whatever) and then I can translate an English reply into Chinese which I can cut and paste as a reply. I can even press the send using the PC. A great advantage when your north of the border.

So iPhone people, can you do that with Apple software?

nope, you're not able to do that.

There's a bit of a hoohaa because you cannot copy & paste on the iPhone yet.

Hmm, well so far have messed around with one for a week. On the list of advantages and disadvantages over a Nokia N95 8GB it only has one advantage - a larger screen. It doesn't actually seem to be able to do a lot!

If you look at functions, sure there will be many phones that can compete and sometimes even surpass the Iphone.

However, the real strength of this phone is it's high usability. Its' many functions are just a pure pleasure to use

Quote Originally Posted by FilipH
    However, the real strength of this phone is it's high usability. Its' many functions are just a pure pleasure to use
    I'm pretty sure they are. I suppose I am so used to the feature sets available on other phones and make full use of them. I usually mess around with 3 or 4 new phones a month helping with reviews and personally have a N95 8GB which I'm going to replace shortly. I had thought about the iPhone but there are just to many features I would be losing and it would just be a backwards step. So time to wait for the N96 methinks unless something comes through my hand that convinces me otherwise!

If you look at functions ...
    I think that's kind of missing the target audience for the iphone.

Strange question I know but this capability is a great feature on the Nokia PC Suite software cos allows me to receive texts in Chinese which I can copy and translate in Babelfish (or whatever) and then I can translate an English reply into Chinese which I can cut and paste as a reply. I can even press the send using the PC. A great advantage when your north of the border.
    I'm sure there must be a dozen translation agencies who can do this two way for you, there certainly are for voice calls.
    Last edited by MrMoo; 30-07-2008 at 04:46 PM.

I am still struggling to find a suitable replacement for my E61 - would never move to an iPhone. The lack of a real qwerty keyboard rules it out for me ... hype or no hype.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay
    I'm pretty sure they are. I suppose I am so used to the feature sets available on other phones and make full use of them. I usually mess around with 3 or 4 new phones a month helping with reviews and personally have a N95 8GB which I'm going to replace shortly. I had thought about the iPhone but there are just to many features I would be losing and it would just be a backwards step. So time to wait for the N96 methinks unless something comes through my hand that convinces me otherwise!
    Out of curiosity, what makes a N95 or N96 so special? I hear many positive things about them, but i struggle to see any benefit over the iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo
    I'm sure there must be a dozen translation agencies who can do this two way for you, there certainly are for voice calls.
    Yes there maybe are but I can do this immediately and have found myself using this function more and more, it really is useful.

Out of curiosity, what makes a N95 or N96 so special? I hear many positive things about them, but i struggle to see any benefit over the iphone.
    Bluetooth stereo, 5Mp Camera, Video calling, software as mentioned previously to name a few. All which I use regularly and are not available on iPhone.