China SIMs in Hong Kong - 2014

Closed Thread

China SIMs in Hong Kong - 2014

Does anyone know where to buy real China SIM cards in Hong Kong (vs. the dual HK/China SIMs that you can find at most carriers here)? Most of the threads before are a bit dated so thought I'd start a fresh one.

Trying to avoid having to go to Lo Wu just to get a SIM before a trip to another part of China where there is not a SIM card vendor at the airport.

Try China Unicom as a starter?

I think they now have shops here.

Another option, China Mobile data roaming package?

https://www.hk.chinamobile.com/en/pr...superroam.html

Last edited by pin; 29-05-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks. I'll check. Problem is usually data--the SIMs I find her or via roaming have rather large data fees and I'm a pretty heavy data user (honestly don't even care about voice calls--just data is needed)

I just got one when I was in China and switch SIMs when I cross the border. Plenty shops all over the place.

Edit: OK I didn't read the last sentence in your post. Ignore this....

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    Thanks. I'll check. Problem is usually data--the SIMs I find her or via roaming have rather large data fees and I'm a pretty heavy data user (honestly don't even care about voice calls--just data is needed)
    I think the China Mobile one is capped at HK$48 a day and they offer stuff per GB etc specifically for China.

Can buy in taobao, shipped to HK!!

I went up to Ap Liu street where there are quite a few SIM card vendors. A few of them had China Unicom cards, but they were very limited on data. Most just sold 'dual' cards that were for use here and there, but one would be roaming and more expensive than buying up there.

Yes, taobao.com is bathe best channel.

If you going to use a Hong Kong phone in China, your ONLY choice for 3G (fast data) is China Unicom. You will only get 2G data on China Mobile network and China Telecom's network.
    I've seen the China Unicom Data Sim in Ap Liu for 3Gig and 6Gig data, although a bit pricey compared to buying it in China. I bought a one year with 2.6Gig monthly in Beijing from the computer center in HaiDain for around RMB500.