Data Roaming Charges in UK

Data Roaming Charges in UK

Hi,

After some advice.

Whilst in the UK my partner accidentally switched the data on for what was no longer than 2.5 hours when switching back to his HK SIM before boarding the plane back to HK.

3HK are now trying tell me that in that short space of time we ran up charges of around HK$2500.

I am trying to negotiate this, but after many calls to the helpline and getting one call back after 4 weeks, they are now ignoring me and basically trying to ignore the issue.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what recourse I may have.

I know it was his own fault, but I think the charges are excessive.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Most of these companies have products you can buy that give you a daily cap on roaming charges - usually 168 HKD seems to be the going rate right now. I suggest you offer to buy whatever you have to to get onto this product and then pay for your day. There is precedent for this. Some woman who racked up huge charges in South Africa (with a UK SIM) managed to negotiate her way out of MUCH higher charges on this basis.

here's the link if you want to try using it as an example. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...iamond-CD.html

Last edited by HK_Katherine; 24-06-2014 at 04:49 PM.

Thanks. I tried that but they told me, when someone finally called me back 4 weeks later, that it was too late.

Although I tried to call them as soon as I heard about the problem i.e. within 24 hours, due to time differences it happened about 3 hours before the 11.59pm cutoff for their 24 hour day so by the next day it was too late!

The fact that each time I rang the help line they could only take a message and ask someone to call me back didn't help.

I also logged on to my account and switched on the daily roaming plan hoping that would help when I was unable to reach anyone that could speak to me about it, but that wasn't good enough either sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by curlyv
    3HK are now trying tell me that in that short space of time we ran up charges of around HK$2500.

I am trying to negotiate this, but after many calls to the helpline and getting one call back after 4 weeks, they are now ignoring me and basically trying to ignore the issue.
    OUCH!!! bad mistake by ya partner, my mrs also did that once in Thailand, didnt realize that her data roaming was on, a month later after the holiday, she got hit with a bill off close to 2000, she tried to get it reduced but no joy, had to pay it off in the end, this was a few years back though.

Maybe instead of calling, go to a 3HK shop and try to discuss with one of the shop managers.

Had a similar situation although it occurred here in HK a few years ago. My wife somehow busted through all her data allowance and continued to use up several additional GBs of data. They tried to charge us several thousand dollars (can't remember the exact amount, I think it was more than 5K!). We went back and forth with the operator (it was onetwofree I believe) and eventually worked out a deal where she would upgrade her monthly plan to an unlimited data one and they would waive the outstanding charges.

I agree with the other posts above suggesting to go to an actual store or speak with someone more senior and work out some kind of deal.

Tried going to the shop yesterday but all they did was put me through to the customer service line who again took a message!

Managed to get a reaction by posting on 3HK facebook page, but again only a we'll have someone get back to you!

It's appalling predatory behavior. It can't cost anyone in the chain anything like that much. Tell the papers and the blogs

Sent from my GT-I9305 using GeoClicks mobile app