Like Tree23Likes

14,000 HKD Smartone data roaming bill

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    This is exactly why the EU instituted the regulations on maximum roaming charges. I agree, people should know better. I had a member of my staff who roamed while on holiday on his company phone. We have a policy that people pay for their personal usage on their company phones so he racked up HKD5,000 in costs. We helped try to negotiate a reduction for him, but at the end of the day 1) our policy was clear and 2) he should have known better.

BUT - not everyone does know. How many things are there in life that we "should all know"? We should all know that buying property in a place where you have no right of abode and foreigners are technically not allowed to own property is a stupid idea - but we have a whole thread elsewhere on this site where people argue that it's sensible. We all know that timeshares are scams - yet thousands of them exist all over the world so somebody must be buying them! We all know that emails saying a Nigerian prince will give you a share of his inheritance if you "just do xxx" are a scam.... yet people fall for them every day. Not everyone knows everything. Not everyone reads newspapers or discusses current affairs ... many, many people in this world live in their own little bubbles and when their lives are disrupted (for example, by going on holiday to a foreign country!) they do stuff that makes no sense and sometimes has unpleasant consequences.

Sometimes Governments and regulators DO have a role to step in a save people from themselves. Data roaming charges are absolutely in the same category, imho, as Nigerian email scams and since telecoms is supposed to be a regulated business, should be banned.
    Aren't those continuous TV ads warning people about data usage whilst being abroad designed to serve this purpose? I'm pretty sure those ads were made by the government as a preventive measures to help people understand this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by george.ks.wong:
    Aren't those continuous TV ads warning people about data usage whilst being abroad designed to serve this purpose? I'm pretty sure those ads were made by the government as a preventive measures to help people understand this issue.
    I don't watch local TV. Who does? It's rubbish!

And why would you assume it is only on local TV? I hardly watch any local TV and I'm pretty sure I've seen it on the cable and NOW channels as well.

The majority of Hong Kong population I would think.
    george.ks.wong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by george.ks.wong:
    There are also loads of ads telling people not to drink and drive or drive safely. It still happens.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Exactly, and what do we call those people? Idiots! (No offence OP)

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Proplus and HK_Katherine like this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Isn't data roaming standard set to off on smartphones? I can't remember the last time that I had to turn it off myself..

wtbhotia likes this.

use prepaid in future.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4