Like Tree23Likes

14,000 HKD Smartone data roaming bill

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

14,000 HKD Smartone data roaming bill

Dear all

I am comming to this forum because I am looking for advices and guidance. I was in Malaysia few weeks ago. And after 20 minutes there I received an email from smartone saying that I reached my roaming limit and that I had to pay 14,000 HKD. I immediatly checked if the roaming of the iphone was on and at my surprise it was on. (Knowing that i never touch it and always go to France without any roaming bill).so even if I didnt used internet (Probably some page were open in the background) smartone qant to charge me this roaming fee which is totally crazy.
    I am kind of totally desperate and I am looking for advices in order to solve this issue so thank you very much to anybody who will repply to this email.

Thanks in advance

David

That's a ridiculous amount.

Original Post Deleted
    ....and they will tell you that you have 2 choices:

a) you can pay the bill minus a 20% discount because you made a mistake
    or
    b) you can signup to this 4 year package normally worth $20,000 but for you, special deal, it will only cost you $14,000 and you dont have to pay now, we will bill you over the next 4 years as soon as you sign.

No, I did not leave my roaming on, she did.
    Yes, I have first hand intimate knowledge of this issue and I'm still angry every time I get reminded of it.
    Fiona in HKG, wtbhotia and dossier like this.

Sympathise

Good luck with smartone customer service though they're useless.

Probably check your settings to see what apps have auto updates set up etc

Wow that's shocking Coombsey. What did you choose?

I didnt choose - I told them we are thinking about it.
    So far, I have not seen the charge on the bill nor have they chased us. The incident was over 2 months ago so I dont know if they forgot or ????

Did you update the OS recently? I know that when I update my bluetooth gets turned on when I restart, not sure if that happens with roaming though.

Smartone roaming charges in Malaysia are HKD $0.14 per KB, so you must have used up exactly 100MB of data and that's when they cut you off and demanded $14000.

The charges are ridiculous, but that's what they are and published on smartone web site. $14,000 for 100MB in Malaysia is completely normal.

If you signed up for Smartone day plan in advance, the charges are $168 for 50MB, and then on an advise and consent basis would have been another $168 per 50MB. So your charges would have been $336.

I think your best bet is to try and get the day plan rate activated retrospectively and see if you can get away with only a $336 bill. I'm not sure whether you want to try making up some bullshit and say you signed up for day but it didn't work or you made a mistake in the activation process or something. It's up to you how you want to play the game.

ouch that sucks. I had to deal with Smartone, they're pretty thick, they increased my bill by 100 HKD without letting me know or calling me. Still working on that issue, idiots

Why have you waited a few weeks? Upon discovering these charges I would have called Smartone immediately! BDW's suggestion sounds worth a shot but you never know with telecomms companies.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast