Like Tree5Likes

Cheap+reliable smartphone recommendations?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Cheap+reliable smartphone recommendations?

Can anyone recommend a cheap yet reliable smartphone? Android for preference. Ideally I'd like to spend HKD900 or less. I was thinking of going onto the successor to the old NW mobile cheap plans (Sun mobile?), if they're still the most reasonable low priced data+call option. Of course, if that's a dumb idea and I can get a better all in deal with Smartphone or other provider, please let me know. When I looked on line, the mainstream mobile providers seemed to be all about more expensive phones/plans.

I mainly need it for whatsapp, checking emails, googling stuff/looking up directions while out and about, and phone calls. So nothing too fancy like watching videos, , downloading music, games etc.

I don't mind a slightly older version, but do know it needs to be reasonably up-to-date to run things like Whatsapp. I'd rather not get a China produced phone.

Does anyone have one to recommend? I looked on First for Smartphones, Tablets, Laptops and Accessories - Expansys Hong Kong (磐石· 環球數碼城) and they had a range in my price but I have no idea which ones are good or awful. It would be very helpful if people could let me know if they had good experiences with any decent, lower price range phones recently. Or even ones to avoid - I'd rather not end up with one that keeps dying on me or drives me into an early grave by being buggy and hard to use.

Thank you!

I've been surprised at how usable the Xiaomi Hongmi is. It's a bit slower than an N5 but the battery life seems to be far better, even though both are supposd to have 2000mAh batteries.

The OS is remarkably useful- no (or at least minimal) bloatware and a fairly clean look to it. Because it's so cheap at $900 it's almost a disposable phone.

Quote Originally Posted by z754103:
    I'd rather not get a China produced phone.
    I think you should change your criteria....

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I think you should change your criteria....
    Yup he needs to.
    Unless he goes for a secondhand Asus Zenphone or the cheap end Samsungs

China produced phones, isnt ALL phones produced in China LOL just kidding before you get your knickers in a twist, I know you mean Chinese Branded phones BUT seriously you shouldnt rule them out for example the one JGL just recommended or if you can up your budget a bit more get the Xiaomi Hong Mi N4 紅米Note 4G its currently selling for HK$1199.

If you really want a Non Chinese Brand smartphone then go to a regular Mobile Phone shop (not the mobile carrier one), you will see plenty of mobile phones on offer, Samsung has the most styles available for every price range and you can get one of the galaxy ranges for around $900.

Thank you for all the feedback! What do people think of the Moto G (upping my budget here a bit)?

Would I have full access to all Google/Chrome stuff on Xiaomi and other PRC branded (yes, thank you that's what I meant) phones? I read about people not being able to access the full range of android apps, Google/Chrome stuff on these phones. But they may have been referring to handsets bought in China rather than ones for the external markets.

I'm not tech minded enough to deal with workarounds etc, and need something plug and play, that's google friendly (my family use google stuff so I've been asked to stick to that so everyone can synch schedules, budgets etc).

Last edited by z754103; 16-12-2014 at 12:52 AM.

> Thank you for all the feedback! What do people think of the Moto G (upping my budget here a bit)?

Remarkably similar to the phone that I mentioned (size, battery, un-bloated OS, RAM), and about 160% the price.

> Would I have full access to all Google/Chrome stuff on Xiaomi

Yes.

I have the 2013 Moto G (dual sim). Got it second hand last year for about HK$1.2k. Very solid phone. Decent sized, good battery life, well built. It is a bit slow when compared to my N5, but overall does a good job. I understand the 2014 model has a bigger screen and if you get the single sim version you get LTE.

Other benefit is that the firmware is pretty much stock Android with a few Motorola apps.

You can pick up a Galaxy S4 for a couple of grand in Sin Tat plaza if you don't mind an older model.

I would go for the Moto G, either new or 2nd hand. There are some on dcfever.com - But under no circumstances would I upgrade to Android 5.0

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast